Yellow shades instead of dark ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My react to light cycling shades/glasses broke at the arm the other week. I tried my constant dark shades on my next ride but they're just too dark. Unless it's a very bright and sunny day it's difficult to see certain objects like pot holes adequately. I just use them now for general day use,like when i'm out walking. The other day i thought i'd try my pair of yellow tinted glasses,which are designed to be used on dull days to enhance the light and make such things as pot holes and pedestrians easier to see. On thing them i found my vision to be a lot better than with permanent shades and even the react to light ones. I've decided over the years that it's not the sunglasses or whatever you wear,but a helmet visor or a cap that does the best in keeping the sun out of your eyes. If you have the darkest available shades on,but without something directly stopping the sun's rays getting to your eyes then they just don't help much. Have any of you tried yellow shades on bright or sunny days and found them to be beneficial,or tried them and thought they "heck,the light is just too bright for me"......?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yellow/amber shades enhance light in low light conditions. They're not much use on very sunny days.
But that's my point. To me they are good. They make things easier to see. If the sun is shining and i'm wearing them,it's not too bright at all. For me that is,but i'm wondering how others would find them. I don't think they'd be that good without using a visor or a cap as well. But like i said,no matter what i wear,to me it's only a visor or a cap that keeps the sun out properly. A motorcyclist relative of mine who's in his 70's and has started to find tinted helmet visors too dark to see pot holes,is thinking about changing to a clear visor.

Yellow is the colour to which the human eye is most sensitive. A filter that allows predominantly yellow light into the eye, gives the impression that everything seems brighter. They are great for low light / dim light conditions, but not much use in the dark. Look for lenses that are tinted, with a reflective finish, if you don’t want to use dark filters.

I've worn yellow lensed Mumbos for 20+years, practically '365'
It's got to be very bright, before the dark lenses come out

1994, at a Cyclo-Cross
Cycling. 1990s. Cyclo-Cross. 1994 Jonathon Noble Memorial.jpg

Contact lenses also contribute to constantly wearing them

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've no problem with my dark lenses and dont feel the need to switch them over . I can see the road well and looking directly at the sun isn't an issue .Not that i often do that .

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm with you on this @Accy cyclist

I wear my yellow tints all year round - most of my riding is in overcast conditions plus I think dark shades are dangerous in unexpectedly dark conditions eg 'tunnels' of trees, road cuttings, bends with houses at the side of the road that shield low lying sun and like you say, potholes tend to be less visible at all times.

Lozz360

Veteran
I agree that wearing a peak is the best way of keeping the sun out of your eyes when you also need good vision. When sailing I prefer a baseball cap to sunglasses as it is easier to see marker bouys in the distance. But if the sun is reflecting off the water then sunglasses are also worn. However, riding a road bike, a peak will force you to tilt your head back and would be very uncomfortable, for me anyway.

With cycling, I use dark sunglasses on all but overcast days. I heard that people with blue eyes, like me, are more sensitive to bright lights than those with other eye colour.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm with you on this @Accy cyclist

I wear my yellow tints all year round - most of my riding is in overcast conditions plus I think dark shades are dangerous in unexpectedly dark conditions eg 'tunnels' of trees, road cuttings, bends with houses at the side of the road that shield low lying sun and like you say, potholes tend to be less visible at all times.

Glad to hear i'm not the only one wearing them when the sun's shining!;)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Yellow is the colour to which the human eye is most sensitive. A filter that allows predominantly yellow light into the eye, gives the impression that everything seems brighter. They are great for low light / dim light conditions, but not much use in the dark. Look for lenses that are tinted, with a reflective finish, if you don’t want to use dark filters.
I thought it was green:
https://light-measurement.com/spectral-sensitivity-of-eye/
(back in the day, head up displays in Jaguars and Tornados used green light, for this very reason)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I see cyclists wearing dark shades on dull days like today and wonder how the feck they can see clearly. Perhaps they can't and they'd rather look :becool: while risking their necks in the process.

Jody

Stubborn git
I would say get something middle of the road. Instead of 20-25% LTR sunglasses in black or greay try some 16-18% LTR in brown like Oakley brown polarised. Cuts all glare, are dark enough to wear on the brightest of days but are light enough to wear in overcast conditions or woodland without causing you a hinderence.

Top Bottom