Yet another needless death caused by phone use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markemark

Über Member
Some stats from research in the US a few years ago showed the net benefit of phones
in cars. The ability to quickly call emergency services after injury outweighed the injuries caused by illegal phone usage as it saved more lives than it caused deaths.

US might be different to UK due to more roads being further from built up areas so longer for people to notice traffic incidents.

markemark

Über Member
I also read about some research of an electric field built within the driver’s seat that disables their ability to use a touch screen, ie their finger stopped working on a phone. This logically could work very well but no idea about the implications of your body being affected by such a device.

tom73

Guru
Some stats from research in the US a few years ago showed the net benefit of phones
in cars. The ability to quickly call emergency services after injury outweighed the injuries caused by illegal phone usage as it saved more lives than it caused deaths.

US might be different to UK due to more roads being further from built up areas so longer for people to notice traffic incidents.

Big difference in using a mobile in an emergency situation and using one as you can't the arsed to take your person, social and legal duty when driving serious enough. The law is already clear on when and how you can legally use a mobile.

markemark

Über Member
Big difference in using a mobile in an emergency situation and using one as you can't the arsed to take your person, social and legal duty when driving serious enough. The law is already clear on when and how you can legally use a mobile.
I know. That’s not what I was saying. It would be easy to block mobiles in cars. But they don’t for the reasons I outlined.

tom73

Guru
I know. That’s not what I was saying. It would be easy to block mobiles in cars. But they don’t for the reasons I outlined.

A solution could be found but like i've pointed out until society says no to it, industry and governments are likely to do little about it.
As for studies always ask who wrote it, who paid for it and who published it. In this case can't see it being a road safety group.

D

Deleted member 26715

Nothing is going to happen until a Ministers son/daughter/nephew/niece/mother/father is the victim, just like all the phone scams, nothing was done for years, then a ministers mother got taken for £250k, new rules were issued within 6 months.

Tragic that it is, nothing will change until the whole car culture is stemmed the amount of aggressive drivers, those that simply will not yield, is increasing daily.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Many US motorists also cary a loaded gun so if their phone use didn't do enough damage they could resort to their firearms.
I read last week that a couple of drivers had a road rage shoot out on the highway and two of their children in the cars were wounded.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/13/us/florida-road-rage-shooting-charges/index.html

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Nothing is going to happen until a Ministers son/daughter/nephew/niece/mother/father is the victim, just like all the phone scams, nothing was done for years, then a ministers mother got taken for £250k, new rules were issued within 6 months.

Tragic that it is, nothing will change until the whole car culture is stemmed the amount of aggressive drivers, those that simply will not yield, is increasing daily.

I think that aggression in society as a whole is on the increase. Drivers are a subset of that society.

D

Deleted member 26715

Perhaps they could get out of their car to make the emergency call.

Unfortunately like all these things there is never a simple answer, I was going up the A1M a couple of months ago, 2 lanes, I could see something in the NS lane, as I went passed it it was a 10-15ft length of heavy duty armoured electric cable about 3" diameter or at least that's what it looked like to me.

What were my options,
Pull over onto the hard shoulder, reverse back (illegal) with my hazard lights on & retrieve the cables (assuming I was strong enough), Pullover to the hard shoulder, get out of the car to make the call
Call 999 whilst I continued my journey

Rightly or wrongly I chose option 3, actually I suppose there was a 4th option, say fkem & don't do anything

Alex321

Veteran
Design such a system:

When driving a car, there must be a connection between car and phone otherwise engine won't start.
So many thousands of people would never be able to drive????

Many people (my wife included) do not routinely carry a mobile phone with them, certainly not one which is powered on - she has a phone, but only normally turns it on when she needs to make an outgoing call, which will not be while driving, or occasionally if she knows somebody else will be trying to contact her while out and about.

Phone will not make any voice calls, all text messaging functions will be stopped, while car is in motion. Only maps will be displayed.

That part is reasonable.

Alex321

Veteran
Unfortunately like all these things there is never a simple answer, I was going up the A1M a couple of months ago, 2 lanes, I could see something in the NS lane, as I went passed it it was a 10-15ft length of heavy duty armoured electric cable about 3" diameter or at least that's what it looked like to me.

What were my options,
Pull over onto the hard shoulder, reverse back (illegal) with my hazard lights on & retrieve the cables (assuming I was strong enough), Pullover to the hard shoulder, get out of the car to make the call
Call 999 whilst I continued my journey

Rightly or wrongly I chose option 3, actually I suppose there was a 4th option, say fkem & don't do anything

The law allows you to take option 3
" A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention—
(a)he is using the telephone or other device to call the police, fire, ambulance or other emergency service on 112 or 999;
(b)he is acting in response to a genuine emergency; and
(c)it is unsafe or impracticable for him to cease driving in order to make the call (or, in the case of an alleged contravention of paragraph (3)(b), for the provisional licence holder to cease driving while the call was being made)."

It would have been unsafe for you to pull over to the hard shoulder and stop to make the call.

BTW, the regulations do not require you to get out of the car, just that you not be "driving" (where "driving" includes being stopped at traffic lights or in queuing traffic), but it is generally regarded as unsafe to remain in your car while stopped on the hard shoulder.

Masseychusetts

What about this? An app that could provide awareness alerts from cyclists' smartphones to drivers' phones. The smartphone could be used as the connection but autos with built-in connectivity could also be in play.
On the cyclist's side of the technology, it could be integrated into a Ride w/ GPS or other mobile app used by cyclists and the cyclists' info anonymized (except for their location, etc.)
The driver would receive a verbal or audible tone indicating a cyclist is ahead, to the right, etc. (without the distraction of looking at their phone).
Is this something that Ride w/ GPS would integrate if available?
What are your thoughts?

Top Bottom