Yet another needless death caused by phone use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cerdic

I may be wrong, but, I think the problem is people using phones, when driving.

Well, exactly! That is why I was querying what mustang1 said.

If I read it right, he seems to be suggesting that the car engine will NOT START unless you have a phone connected to it! That would make it, in effect, compulsory to have a smartphone in order to drive. And to have your phone with you, and ‘connected’ to your car.

I feel this is approaching the problem of people using phones while driving from the wrong angle...

tom73

Guru
Sadly until using a mobile when driving becomes socially unacceptable. Tech and car companies wont come up with a real hard line solution. Some tech solutions be it limited are around. But relay on the users turning them on we've had do not disturb when driving switch on for years. The real big knock on effect is until things like this become populist view governments of any sort wont start to take traffic law around dangerous and fatal driving seriously.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As the most important thing to drivers is their license and bring able to drive I would suggest the best deterrent might be to issue a short ban of maybe three or even six months for the offence.
If they are no longer able to drive that might make them thing a bit longer and harder about use at the wheel. It certainly needs to be something a bit severe than is in place at the present.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
As the most important thing to drivers is their license and bring able to drive I would suggest the best deterrent might be to issue a short ban of maybe three or even six months for the offence.
If they are no longer able to drive that might make them thing a bit longer and harder about use at the wheel. It certainly needs to be something a bit severe than is in place at the present.

Unfortunately, a driving ban doesn't actually stop them from driving; it's widely ignored.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Just ban them two years for one offence, no exception, lifetime for second offence, no exception. Simple! If they genuinely can't grab that concept they shouldn't be allowed out on their own.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, a driving ban doesn't actually stop them from driving; it's widely ignored.
Those are the drivers who have nothing to lose, never had a license or insurance, never will. Most drivers are not in that category and if caught they know they will get a longer ban and further punishment. Agree about the sliding scale @Old Hippy .

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
tom73 has it, I think. Prevention and social stigma. Detection rates are so low that the chances of being caught are negligible, and we know that it's the latter that's the deterrent, not the size of the penalty applied.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
We can all bemoan how it is, but the truth is, nothing will change, even when another family is left without a parent. Terrible

simongt

Guru
As with drink / drug driving should be, mandatory five year ban and a fine of 25% of their income, regardless of the personal circumstances of the offender.
As these offences are all voluntary, no excuse.

Top Bottom