Yet Another Puncture - Tyre Recommendations Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I have used M+ before and whilst fantastic for protection they are like others have mentioned extremely heavy, depending on budget I would recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, they are a good mix of everything I need in a wider commuter tyre, light and easy to get on and off, decent protection and last ages.
Could also try the Durano+ if you want to go to 25c, though they do a wired version in the wider sizes I think :thumbsup:

I too think there is something wrong if you are puncturing every ride though, I wan't a fan of the 'gators but still only had a flat every few hundred miles on them.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Another vote for Marathon Plus here

binsted

I seem to get a puncture every time I go out recently. I must be in to double figures this year and recently I've punctured every ride. So I need a recommendation for some tyres with serious puncture resistance. I've been using Continental Gatorskins
Many thanks
Derek

You,ve got me worried now, I had a similar problem with GP4000s and I have just replaced them with Gatorskins:cry:

kipster

Guru
I've got some Specialized Armadillo All Conditions on one of the bikes (commuter / winter hack). Only 1 deflation in about 800 miles. Took them out on Tuesday and road on some seriously bad post storm roads. Spent 30 minutes today picking flints out, biggest was about 3 to 4mm deep and was fully embedded in the tyre, but no puncture. Might not be the lightest 440g for 700x28 but I'm please with how they have held up.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've got some Specialized Armadillo All Conditions on one of the bikes (commuter / winter hack). Only 1 deflation in about 800 miles. Took them out on Tuesday and road on some seriously bad post storm roads. Spent 30 minutes today picking flints out, biggest was about 3 to 4mm deep and was fully embedded in the tyre, but no puncture. Might not be the lightest 440g for 700x28 but I'm please with how they have held up.
I currently have these on my road bike, 700x25, and they've been great :smile:.

I've been using Marathon Plus tyres on my commuter/tourer bike for 5 years, and they've mostly been OK. I've had a few duds, though: last year a rear tyre kept unseating, causing the tube to suddenly explosively deflate (very noisily), so I had to replace that tyre. Then just yesterday, I had to partially deflate the rear tyre, because it had started to unseat just in 1 spot on 1 side, so I used the road bike to commute to/from work today. In other words, Marathon Plus tyres are very puncture-resistant, but make sure you check their beads carefully before walking out of the bike shop with them (if you buy them that way). I'm planning to buy all my tyres from bike shops in future, rather than online, as putting them on months after purchase, only to find they're duds, is a bit annoying :sad:.

I have to say I have had no really issues with the pair of gatorskins I got at the end of July over 3,000 miles one failed patch and one pinch puncture, I got the Park Blue levers after struggling with cheap ones, and no problem.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
6000 miles on a pair of GP4000s' since I fitted them at the start of the year and not one puncture. I've now got the original back one on the front due to wear but I reckon they've still got 1500 left on them. Regular cleaning of them and pressure check every week and I'm confident I won't get a puncture before I replace them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
6000 miles on a pair of GP4000s' since I fitted them at the start of the year and not one puncture. I've now got the original back one on the front due to wear but I reckon they've still got 1500 left on them. Regular cleaning of them and pressure check every week and I'm confident I won't get a puncture before I replace them.
Ya could have come out and fixed my tyre in repton the other day :blush:

uclown2002

Guru

You're tempting fate there!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

That's good going, as what I am alway's preaching... look after your tyres and they will look after you.
However you can't predict that you won't get a puncture.

postman

Legendary Member
I have to say I have had no really issues with the pair of gatorskins I got at the end of July over 3,000 miles one failed patch and one pinch puncture, I got the Park Blue levers after struggling with cheap ones, and no problem.

Thanks to all who replied to this post.having seen this post espesh.I have narrowed down Continental Ultra Gator skins,to am amazing £20-99 at Halfords.Going to get some tomorrow sale ends 8-00pm Monday night.A good saving i think.

BSRU

A Human Being
That's far better than me, two pairs of GP4000s have lasted over 3000 miles each without a visit but then the PF started to visit too often, even after being carefully checked for foreign objects..

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Would you believe it! Penetration resulting in slow deflation today - Gatorskin. I'm not blaming the tyre - I'm blaming, main suspect, local yoofs (see post above), closely followed by local farmers and manic hedge trimming activity. Couldn't find anything in the tyre, so I'll never know. Tube replaced, tyre back on rim - thumbs only - valve last - CO2 deployed, and back on the road. Spooky thing was, when I discovered it, I was in almost exactly the same location as a previous unplanned deflation event - couple of years ago :scratch:.

Top Bottom