Yet another reason I’m glad I’ve got a decent camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Couple of things at play here.
You seem to be aware of vehicle approach and your head movement suggests a cursory shoulder check during which you suddenly drift further into the road;

Before shoulder check...
1591022101140.png

After shoulder check...
1591022247240.png

This would surely surprise the driver as your road positioning and presumable lack of indicating would suggest you were intending to continue your current course rather than veering into the lane as you did.

Even with this there still seems to be a normal distance between you and vehicle (Not ideal or desireable, but certainly not what would be classed a close pass by most cyclists) although the camera angle may distort this and without being there it is difficult to call either way. Just based on viewing the footage you have posted I would class that as a fairly typical day to day pass and not something to be getting worked up about. Sure, things could have been better in an ideal world, but you could also have helped by not wandering off-line when you shoulder checked. Maybe a little more practice or little less nervousness on your part would help?

Doesn't look to scary from this angle...
1591022766086.png

Also, perhaps think about ditching the camera and focus on enjoying your rides rather than shouting at and criticising every motorist you manage to catch on camera who you consider to be a threat.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Couple of things at play here.
You seem to be aware of vehicle approach and your head movement suggests a cursory shoulder check during which you suddenly drift further into the road;

Before shoulder check...
View attachment 526810

After shoulder check...
View attachment 526812

This would surely surprise the driver as your road positioning and presumable lack of indicating would suggest you were intending to continue your current course rather than veering into the lane as you did.

Even with this there still seems to be a normal distance between you and vehicle (Not ideal or desireable, but certainly not what would be classed a close pass by most cyclists) although the camera angle may distort this and without being there it is difficult to call either way. Just based on viewing the footage you have posted I would class that as a fairly typical day to day pass and not something to be getting worked up about. Sure, things could have been better in an ideal world, but you could also have helped by not wandering off-line when you shoulder checked. Maybe a little more practice or little less nervousness on your part would help?

Doesn't look to scary from this angle...
View attachment 526817

Also, perhaps think about ditching the camera and focus on enjoying your rides rather than shouting at and criticising every motorist you manage to catch on camera who you consider to be a threat.
The road surface is completely knackered at that point, the shoulder check was because I could see a big hole coming, and I was going to have to avoid it. That’s one very good reason why drivers need to give you 3 feet clearance, it builds in a bit of room if the cyclist has to avoid something. That clown gave me about a foot, if you can’t see that’s poor driving / close passing, I really don’t know what you would consider poor driving / close passing.

D

Deleted member 26715

I really think you should take the advice, ditch the camera & go out to enjoy yourself, it is clear it really isn't doing you any good, yes it was closer than it needed to be, no reason to have even been on the same side of the road as yourself, but it really didn't look 'that' close

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Glad you cleared that up. When I typed up my previous reply I wasn't sure you had actually moved out or it was just a trick of the camera combined with head angles. I would rather ride through rough tarmac than move out unexpectedly in front of a passing vehicle like you did. You either need to improve your forward hazard awareness and react earlier, or ride further from the gutter all the time.
You had a long time approaching the scene to clock the need to move out, signal your intention and complete the move, giving the following vehicle ample time to react and adjust their course.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I really think you should take the advice, ditch the camera & go out to enjoy yourself, it is clear it really isn't doing you any good, yes it was closer than it needed to be, no reason to have even been on the same side of the road as yourself, but it really didn't look 'that' close
Believe me, that was practically a brush, my arms are relatively far away from where the camera is on that bike ( upright Hybrid ). Whether I’ve got the camera or not, makes no difference, after 30+ years of riding, I’m just sick and tired of moronic close passes. The camera is going to be very useful.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Glad you cleared that up. When I typed up my previous reply I wasn't sure you had actually moved out or it was just a trick of the camera combined with head angles. I would rather ride through rough tarmac than move out unexpectedly in front of a passing vehicle like you did. You either need to improve your forward hazard awareness and react earlier, or ride further from the gutter all the time.
You had a long time approaching the scene to clock the need to move out, signal your intention and complete the move, giving the following vehicle ample time to react and adjust their course.
:laugh:
I don’t know what you were watching, certainly not what actually happened. I did signal the move, that driver still chose to pass, rather than wait a second or two.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=II2YMoX7fnQ

Here’s a good example of the difference between the motorist getting it right, and the motorist getting it wrong, in the same clip. The red Vauxhall and the Orange Ute got it right, the Silver Honda in between didn’t, it’s not like it was difficult, the driver of the Honda just had to do what the Red Vauxhall in front of them did.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don’t know what you were watching, certainly not what actually happened. I did signal the move, that driver still chose to pass, rather than wait a second or two.

I don't quite know why I'm engaging in a pointless debate, you have your opinion and if previous performance is anything to go off, you certainly are not going to change it. Your clip was 9s long and there was a split second between you shoulder checking, moving out and the vehicle appearing beside you.

The camera only gives a fraction of the story, but what it does show suggests you could have handled the situation better, much better. True, the van should have passed wider, but even with your sudden swerve into his path there was still no collision, which in a backward sort of way confirms that the driver left sufficient room to allow for your unexpected actions.
Just watched your next clip and I will say it again, lose the camera and learn to love your cycling :hugs:

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I don't quite know why I'm engaging in a pointless debate, you have your opinion and if previous performance is anything to go off, you certainly are not going to change it. Your clip was 9s long and there was a split second between you shoulder checking, moving out and the vehicle appearing beside you.

The camera only gives a fraction of the story, but what it does show suggests you could have handled the situation better, much better. True, the van should have passed wider, but even with your sudden swerve into his path there was still no collision, which in a backward sort of way confirms that the driver left sufficient room to allow for your unexpected actions.
Just watched your next clip and I will say it again, lose the camera and learn to love your cycling :hugs:
:laugh:
I think you need to go to specsavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom