YIKES! Specialized Recall - fingers crossed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Received a call from Tredz today, to urge me to check the Specialized website and stop riding my new bike :wacko::sad:

Dear Specialized Rider:

At Specialized, safety is our primary concern, and when safety is compromised for the rider, we need to take action.

After careful examination, we've concluded that some model year 2018 Allez, Allez Elite, and Allez Sport model bikes may contain a manufacturing defect in the fork crown which potentially affects safety. Therefore, we've decided to prepare for a recall which will involve replacing the existing fork with a new fork.

By this letter, we're asking riders to stop riding, and our dealers to stop selling, affected bicycles. Even though, to our knowledge, no one has been injured and no regulatory agency has brought this to our attention.

We've already engaged our considerable manufacturing resources to supply high-quality replacement forks, painted to match your bikes. Riders who've purchased these bikes will be our first priority for replacement, followed by our retailers. As riders ourselves, we fully understand and are working hard at finding solutions to minimize your inconvenience. We hope you'll understand and appreciate that we will need time to obtain necessary government approvals and time for our factories to produce a sufficient quantity of forks for the recall.

We assure you that getting you, the rider, back on your bike is our highest priority, and that we're working day and night to make this happen as quickly as possible. As we progress, we'll provide regular updates to you on Specialized.com. And when we begin to deliver replacement forks, we will promptly notify all concerned.

For questions, please contact Specialized Rider Care at 020 8391 3502.

On our part, we wish to apologize for this inconvenience.

Mark Schroeder, Director of Engineering

Fingers crossed I am alright and don't have to enter the whole return process etc.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Good on them, They made the right call.:okay:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
From what I gather it is the 2018 Allez bikes affected and will take until January for them to source enough replacement forks. On a positive note, if you are in the USA you get $75 in compensation. If it were me I would keep riding and have a good look at the fork crown on a regular basis until the recall can get sorted.

Allez man is going to be so distraught, he’ll be found hanging by his brightly coloured hockey socks. Rugby tops will be getting burned over this, mark my words.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah - this is what I am unsure of, I do have my Diverge to fall back on, I would rather be safe than sorry. I am hoping I won't have to pay to get the forks replaced once they are shipped out?!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Yikes

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Hopefully they will arrange to have it done at a local spesh dealer, rather than having to ship back to Tredz.
I'm sure that will happen, Specialized will pay the local dealer for the labour costs. There may be some inconvenience so any affected owner may receive some form of compensation.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yeah - this is what I am unsure of, I do have my Diverge to fall back on, I would rather be safe than sorry. I am hoping I won't have to pay to get the forks replaced once they are shipped out?!

Gotta work like any vehicle product recall surely?

You have to take it to an agreed place. All the costs of replacement are down to someone other than you

Top Bottom