YIKES! Specialized Recall - fingers crossed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hehe, yes I have heard various ideas about this! I usually have my Durano's at around 85/90. Having harder, slimmer tyres seems to spell uncomfy. However, you would make the speed gains! I would be tempted to have higher pressures for competition as you are guaranteed good track surface.

bpsmith

Veteran
It definitely depends on the surface. If it’s perfect then highest possible pressures would be spot on. As the surface degrades, harder tyres bounce and you lose traction, and therefore speed.

The surfaces I was in yesterday were pretty good, albeit not perfectly smooth, and I noticed the difference straight away. I don’t think that you need the surface to degrade much in order to start reducing pressure tbh.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yes, I quite agree. The surface is at the Gravesend Cyclopark and it's pretty much perfect and smooth! Hence my inclination to keep 25mm width, but just improve the quality of the tyre and increase the pressure. Seems a winning combination to me.

cm2mackem

Über Member
Another recall, this time for 2017 - 2019 Roubaix, Ruby, Diverge, and Sirrus models due to an issue with the clamping steerer tube collars on the Future Shock
Dear Specialized Rider,

Your safety is our top priority. Whenever something happens that may compromise your safety, we take immediate action.

Based upon reports from the field, the steerer tube collar on select Roubaix, Ruby, Diverge, and Sirrus bicycles may be susceptible to stress corrosion cracking. When that happens, it may result in a sudden loss of steering control while riding.

We are voluntary recalling the steerer tube collars on these bicycles and are replacing them with a new, improved collar which, together with an adjustment to the torque setting, will significantly improve the collar’s resistance to stress corrosion cracking. We have reported the matter to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and are working closely with them on a press release announcing the recall shortly.

Please stop riding your bicycle immediately and visit your local Authorized Specialized Retailer to have a new steerer tube collar installed, at no cost to you.

We wish to apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Thank you for riding Specialized.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Another recall, this time for 2017 - 2019 Roubaix, Ruby, Diverge, and Sirrus models due to an issue with the clamping steerer tube collars on the Future Shock
Dear Specialized Rider,

Your safety is our top priority. Whenever something happens that may compromise your safety, we take immediate action.

Based upon reports from the field, the steerer tube collar on select Roubaix, Ruby, Diverge, and Sirrus bicycles may be susceptible to stress corrosion cracking. When that happens, it may result in a sudden loss of steering control while riding.

We are voluntary recalling the steerer tube collars on these bicycles and are replacing them with a new, improved collar which, together with an adjustment to the torque setting, will significantly improve the collar’s resistance to stress corrosion cracking. We have reported the matter to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and are working closely with them on a press release announcing the recall shortly.

Please stop riding your bicycle immediately and visit your local Authorized Specialized Retailer to have a new steerer tube collar installed, at no cost to you.

Just read that. Haven’t even been out on mine yet! Bought online with very few local Specialized dealers around. Not a happy bunny.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Dear Specialized Rider,

Not exactly the last word in reassurance.

Or is stress corrosion cracking an unavoidable occurrence?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just read that. Haven’t even been out on mine yet! Bought online with very few local Specialized dealers around. Not a happy bunny.
If you call specialized they will let you know what local dealers in your area are able to do the work . Evans did my recall work .

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, I was watching "American Flyers" a couple of days ago and lusting after the red 1985 Specialized Allez SE bike (steel, apparently made by Miyata) Kevin Costner was riding. Looked as if he only had a 21T sprocket for the mountains...those were the days!

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't know if American Flyers was exactly a great moment for authenticity in Hollywood. But the Allez was great that year. I have the Univega from a year or two before as a tourer, and it is great as well. Miyata/Univega were making bikes from double and triple butted steel then. Great value for money.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Slightly worried with my four and a half year old “cheap as chips” carbon bike from Argos now, wonder how strong the fork crown is? :ohmy:
Can’t see me ever getting a recall notice either

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
F8BAF3B3-2AB7-4551-B6F2-2B4B413BD3ED.jpeg
I called the local Specialized store and they confirmed it only affects the listed models that have the Futureshock stem, not the models without it - despite the Specialized website (above) listing my 2018 Diverge Sport as being affected (it doesn’t have Futureshock).

The part affected is a collar at the bottom of the Futureshock assembly.

Top Bottom