Yippeee! Simon and Susie are going en vacances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
tickets booked from London City to Barcelona on 1st October and from Nice to London City on 8th October. So

day 1 - arrive in Barcelona, looking stylish, take train to centre of Barcelona, check in to cheap yet stylish and cycle friendly hotel (yet to be found) and unpack bikes. Go for stroll in Ramblas, Barrio Gotico, etc.

day 2 - rise early, cycle to Girona, check in to cheap yet stylish cycle friendly Pension Bellmirall and go for stroll, looking stylish

day 3 - rise early, cycle up Coll de Manrella (720m, mostly at 6%) and then descend to Perpignan, check in to cheap yet stylish cycle friendly Hotel de la Loge, go for stroll round historic town looking very stylish

day 4 - rise early, ride to coast and on to Port-la-Nouvelle, take train (twelve minutes across the water) to Narbonne, cycle to Agde and check in to cheap yet stylish cycle friendly chambre d'hotel, go for a stroll round town looking extremely stylish

day 5 - rise early, ride along coast, with etangs to our left, to Arles, check in to cheap yet stylish hotel (yet to be found) and go for a stroll, meet friends for dinner

day 6 - rise early, ride to Salon-de-Provence, Aix-en-Provence and then to Brignoles, check in to cheap yet stylish chambre d'hote, go for stroll looking exceptionally stylish

day 7 - rise early, ride to Antibes, Cannes and on to St-Laurent du Var, check in to vastly overpriced tourist-grinding hotel, pack bikes, go to bar and share one undersized martini

day 8 - take taxi to Nice, fly home.

any hotel of B+B tips for Barcelona very much appreciated, together with hints on routes, roads to avoid and so on

That sounds like a really great trip. Just imagining your packing list:

4 x inner tubes (pre-talced and mighty)

Puncture repair kit

Corkscrew

2 x Passports

103 Cyclists including 12 Wayfarers and 6 TECs

Swimming costumes

:rofl:

I went to Barcelona about 15 years ago and bought 7 pairs of shoes!! I wonder what you will make of Antoni Gaudi..... I stayed in several Paradores and would highly recommend them although I am sure there will be more up to date recommendations shortly!

Happy Hols indeed.

M :bicycle:

Edited to correct the name of the architect. Although he didnt complete everthing in which he was involved... :eek:

J-Lo

You like cheap yet stylish cycle friendly hotels dont you?
cool.gif

You can't go to Barcelona and not see Gaudi's Segrada Familia and Casa Batlló. Touristy I know but so much more stylish than the Ramblas ;)

mcr

Veteran
Oh, and watch out if you're going to Agde that your hotel isn't in Cap d'Agde, or your stylishness may be somewhat denuded...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I wonder if the route from Agde to Arles may be a bit soulless. I did an inland route around there last year and can highly recommend the mediaeval town/village of Sommieres to stay. Narrow streets, ruined castle and a great Lebanese restaurant to boot.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I wonder if the route from Agde to Arles may be a bit soulless. I did an inland route around there last year and can highly recommend the mediaeval town/village of Sommieres to stay. Narrow streets, ruined castle and a great Lebanese restaurant to boot.

but was it stylish ?

mcr

Veteran
I wonder if the route from Agde to Arles may be a bit soulless.

Actually, that's very true. The coast eastwards from 'Montpellier-on-sea' (or whatever the resorts are called) is hideously built up with one condo after another (probably even more dreary out of season), though if you like empty roads, with just the birdlife and grazing horses for company, do try and take the little roads across the northern Camargue from Aigues-Mortes - the D202 and unclassified Chemin du Patun Longue are meandering delights (and there's a cycle path over the Rhone into Arles in the innards of the N113 'motorway' should you need it).

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd intended to go to from Agde to the coast and then up to Sete, then along the D60 and D116 before going back to the coast at Palavas. From Palavas I've planned on going up to Le Grau and Aigues-Mortes, then to snake across the Camargue - taking minor roads - the DR179 and the GR 653 - if the D58 is completely horrible.

MarkF

Guru
I toured Catalonia last September and cycled Barcelona to Girona one day, luckily it was Catalonia day, spectacular, go a month earlier next time!

Don't think a cheap and stylish hostal is possible in central Barcelona, tho' Gumtree often has owners with decent rooms. I usually stop in Badalona where the rooms are half the cost and it's quiet and hassle free and only a short 1.05eu tram to central Barcelona.

If you are cycling out of Barcelona, take your time, follow the beaches east out of the City, through the ind complex (3 chimneys you can see for miles) and into Badalona's new marina's. You'll eventually use an underpass (the coast train line will switch from your left to right) and turn left though shops onto the promenade, from there pick up the coast road. A lovely flat quiet ride.

That coast road is v.busy and in no way enjoyable, I'd be tempted to cheat a little, catch the train (great bike facilities) to Blanes and then head inland. Thought Girona was beautiful, enjoy yourselves.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mark - I'd had pretty much the same thought as you on Badalona - when all is said and done we've 'done' Barcelona, and there's nothing like an early morning start along a coast road to raise the spirits. A hotel recommendation (cheap is good, but stylish is a must) would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom