Yo-yo dieting..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LiamW

That's good going!, well done for giving up the booze as well.

I've always worked a few drinks into my diet, it's the snacking that takes it's toll with me.

Yeah, snacking is a killer alright.

Actually struggled more with that than trying to stay off the drink in fairness.

Still pig out a bit from time to time but I seemed to have settled down now with it tbh.

si_c

Guru
Snacking kills my efforts to control my weight. It seems to be all or nothing and if there is anything snackable in the house, it's all. Last night I was going to bed, and couldn't stop thinking about the eccles cakes downstairs in the kitchen. Half twelve, I'm lying in bed eating eccles cakes. :banghead:

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Snacking kills my efforts to control my weight. It seems to be all or nothing and if there is anything snackable in the house, it's all. Last night I was going to bed, and couldn't stop thinking about the eccles cakes downstairs in the kitchen. Half twelve, I'm lying in bed eating eccles cakes. :banghead:

You've just got to make your mind up and stick with it, I've found having a drink (none alcoholic) stops me feeling hungry.

Cup-a-soups are quite good, 70kcal I think.

Snacks/ biscuita brought into work were the worst for me but once you've told yourself no a few times it gets a lot easier..

I drink a lot of water, keeps the hunger pangs at bay.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
vowed not to put it on again.....

I've been there myself. 5 years ago I was 16st 2lb and crash dieted to 10st 6lb over 6 months. I'm 5'11".
YoYo'd for a couple of years afterwards, 2st on 2st off. Nowadays only about 1st on 1st off.
During this time I have tried half a dozen diets. However I have to say the one I have found best for doing alongside lots of cycling is Slimming World (2013 version) as some types of clean carbs (rice, couscous, pasta etc) are "free" so you can eat as much as you want. I find this excellent slow release energy. Diets such as Weight Watchers have made me feel drained and faint when exercising.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
A stone a month is very good going, I was losing a pound a week!.

I'm trying my best to get back to 12 stone and keep within a couple of kilos of that, let it slide a bit on my 40th birthday but going to put the effort back in.

Half of it is habit as well snacking wise, for me anyway..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Over half a stone off now, slowed down to a pound a week loss which is realistic without starving myself..

I'm not a breakfast person so not going to force myself into eating early, technically lunch is my breakfast. Plus then I've got some wiggle room for a late snack.

Calories in vs calories out has always done the business for me, laziness and lack of willpower have done the opposite!.

Turned 40 a couple of months back and have to resign myself to the factnI can't eat what I did in my 20's..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Yep, IF seems to be all the rage on My Fitness Pal and the like ;).

To be fair if I'm busy on Sundays I don't eat until tea time anyway, more IF..

david k

Hi
T'was some science bloke on radio 4 the other day. Something like 98% of people who go on a diet weigh the same or more after 5 years.
Yes I've heard that before

I think the notion of a diet is the dangerous thing here, maybe we need to 'diet' to drop significant weight at first, but the big push now is on eating habits and healthy substitutes. So as I find myself trying to drop weight again, I'm doing so by trying to eat a low density nutritious diet and not simply reduce calories. It works but it's slow, hopefully the benefit is sustained healthy weight and health

david k

Hi
Even that stone isn't enough for me ... I am 6' 1" tall and currently weigh only about 13 st 10 lbs but I have still grown such a belly! I need to get below 12 st 7 lbs to regain a slim waist.
Funny you say that, what ever weight I am I seem to still have a belly, I think I lose weight proportionately across my body, therefore I lose weight everywhere equally!! Maybe I don't but it certainly feels that way

Top Bottom