Yoga will improve your riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did a four-week online course with City Lit designed for cyclists https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/yoga-for-cyclists-mixed-levels

Whilst it wasn't the first time I'd done yoga, it is designed for beginners. I found the hip opening and shoulder exercises really helpful. And it's encouraged me to do a bit more. There are also meant to be benefits in terms of controlling/managing your breathing.

The benefit of it being online is that my wife's teacher charges per household rather than per person, and you don't have to worry about where to look when the lady in front of you is spilling out of her exercise gear (not my wife). I realize how that sounds but being the only bloke at some classes has felt a bit awkward. Even if I've gone with my other half. I'm easily distracted :-)

There's also something called movement for modern life which is like Netflix for Yoga. You can pick and choose classes based on a range of things.

I'm not fully on board with the spiritual side of things but do get the link between the practice and some of the physical/mental benefits.

I was super flexible when I started cycling 2 years ago. I was doing yoga regularly once a week. 18 months since my last yoga class and I've never been as inflexible as I am now. I need to cycle less and do more sun salutations

Top Bottom