York environs October ride - *25th October*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok, now the ToB is out of the way...

I gather from Craigwend yesterday that we have a localish birthday coming up which needs to be celebrated with a ride and cake. Possibly also beer.

So, we need a ride for October, and a date. Preferably a Sunday so that Spandex can join us. I'm free on Sundays 4th, 11th, 25th (and on Sat 3rd, 24th but let's try and get Spandex along). If we are to celebrate the birthday, the birthday boy needs to be able to come along.

Route ideas? If cake is the thing, The Balloon Tree Cafe is a good bet, on the way to Stamford Bridge. Pocklington also has sources, but I'll have to check on Sundays, as much of Pock is closed on Sundays. I hear Millington also has a cafe. There's Castle Howard, if hills are deemed worth it. South of the Hull Road is a bit of a cafe desert, but there are pubs.... Of course, there are always plenty of places to get cake in York, if it came to it. Or we head west, to the bright lights of Tadcaster, or south to the bustling metropolis that is Selby.

I guess we may need to think about a shorter ride than some of our summer ones, with the nights drawing in (as much for those who then need to get home, as much as for the ride itself), and check seasonal cafe opening... And a shorter ride might appeal to less keen partners.

Anyway, who's up for it, and when can you make it? You can never start planning too soon.

postman

Legendary Member
Don't tell me about it.I'll just keep an eye out.
Cos i don't want the Health Fairy to hear about this.

I WOULD LIKE TO GET ON ONE OF THESE RIDES.xx(

HelenD123

Guru
Arch - I can confirm that the cafe in Pocklington we went to yesterday is also open on a Sunday. They have seating upstairs so we wouldn't need to perch on the wall again! Your favourite German snack bar only opens 10-2 on a Sunday.

I'm due to become an auntie some time in October so may need to change my plans at the last minute but am free at the moment.

zacklaws

Guru
I,m free the 4th and the 25th. Working the night of the 3rd but plenty of caffeine should sort that problem out next morning.

To give us some idea for planning purposes:-

4th October, Sunrise 0708 BST Sunset 1832 BST Dusk 1905 BST

11th October, Sunrise 0721 BST Sunset 1815 BST Dusk 1848 BST

25th October Sunrise 0647 GMT Sunset 1643 GMT Dusk 1718 GMT

At some point in the month the clocks must change.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
At some point in the month the clocks must change.

According to my diary it's the 25th Oct when the clocks change, just so happens that's the only free Sunday I have in October too :smile:, So i'm in if it's the 25th

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
South of Hull Road - I say whatever that pub at Elvington is called.

The Grey Horse, yes we stopped there last time I led a ride that way....

25th looks good. That's ages away. We might have to have a splinter group ride earlier in the month too....

Thanks for cafe info Helen, I thought it was like that, but wasn't quite sure about that deli. I must say, if someone set up a cafe in Elvington, Seaton Ross or Melbourne, they could be onto a winner, they'd have a monopoly.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Arch said:
Ok, now the ToB is out of the way...
I gather from Craigwend yesterday that we have a localish birthday coming up which needs to be celebrated with a ride and cake. Possibly also beer.

Erm don't we need to check with the (ADMIN) 'person concerned' who may or may not be 40 to see if he (or she) can make it ?????????:smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

or at least before they edit this post!:blush:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
craigwend said:
Erm don't we need to check with the (ADMIN) 'person concerned' who may or may not be 40 to see if he (or she) can make it ?????????:laugh::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

or at least before they edit this post!:evil:

I've alerted the Birthday Boy in the thread he's started on the subject....:biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
Call me a dope, but I didn't spot this thread before posting my own - doh!!

I see cake has already been mentioned, so we're on the right track. :biggrin:

I unfortunately can't make the 25th (sorry Salty but that's the little 'uns birthday weekend and I'd get strung-up if I went off cycling)

Or the 4th (sorry zacklaws but I will hopefully be recovering in Leeds from a monster hangover!)

So, it'll have to be the 11th or 18th for me (I'll take whichever one suits most of you guys and girls).

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Admin said:
Call me a dope, but I didn't spot this thread before posting my own - doh!!

I see cake has already been mentioned, so we're on the right track. :biggrin:

I unfortunately can't make the 25th (sorry Salty but that's the little 'uns birthday weekend and I'd get strung-up if I went off cycling)

Or the 4th (sorry zacklaws but I will hopefully be recovering in Leeds from a monster hangover!)

So, it'll have to be the 11th or 18th for me (I'll take whichever one suits most of you guys and girls).

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

Oh, I just KNEW this would happen....:wacko:

:welcome:

Now, hang on, which day could I do?

11th.

How many can do that? If it's looking difficult, we could shift the birthday ride back into November to get as many as possible along, might mean a lottery with the weather and maybe a shorter ride for the light, but hey ho.

If anyone who can't do the 11th wants to do a ride on the 25th anyway, I'm up for that too, there's no reason we can't have more than one get together a month.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, hang on. I'm dithering about whether to go to Cycle 09 and if I do, it'll have to be the 11th.... I suppose you could just all go without me...:evil:

Admin, everyone, how are you fixed in November?

Top Bottom