England : North Yorkshire york humber york 105 miles 25th june

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I can't find a meeting time in this thread - would I be correct in assuming it will be at 10am again, in front of the Minster?

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
yes mate, 10am in front of the minster :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am still hoping to do the ride but I had a health scare last Friday so I am feeling a bit nervous about tackling this long ride. I will try to get a local ride in before then to see how I feel on the bike and make my decision after that.

Oldfentiger and I were wondering how long the ride took last year?. We were thinking of parking at the Park and Ride at Askham Bar but it gets locked up at 20:30. If we were likely to be in danger of getting back later than (say) 20:00, is there anywhere near the P & R that we could park instead?

Buck

Guru
...We were thinking of parking at the Park and Ride at Askham Bar but it gets locked up at 20:30. If we were likely to be in danger of getting back later than (say) 20:00, is there anywhere near the P & R that we could park instead?

I used to live around the corner so hope I can help...

If you continue to the roundabout and take a left over the railway bridge on Moor Lane and straight on at the next mini roundabout you will see a shop on the right hand side called Love to Eat (or similar) there are some parking spaces there (it is signposted Chapmans pond)

Alternatively, go straight on at the P&R roundabout and take your next left down Old Moor Lane - there is limited on street parking here (last time I checked there were no restrictions)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am still hoping to do the ride but I had a health scare last Friday so I am feeling a bit nervous about tackling this long ride. I will try to get a local ride in before then to see how I feel on the bike and make my decision after that.

Oldfentiger and I were wondering how long the ride took last year?. We were thinking of parking at the Park and Ride at Askham Bar but it gets locked up at 20:30. If we were likely to be in danger of getting back later than (say) 20:00, is there anywhere near the P & R that we could park instead?

Good thing you raised the park and ride closing time.

I was thinking of using the site on my way in, but hadn't considered it would shut in the evening.

Seems to me an elapsed time of 10 hours or more is likely, so we could easily be rolling back into York after 8pm.

I reckon that's too tight to chance using the park and ride.

Weather forecast is OK, possibly a light shower but not too hot and not a lot of wind.

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
hi folks, sorry for the lack of organizing, just back from holiday so got a lot of catching up to do, anyway ive checked my strava and last year the ride took 9.5 hours including breaks, will read through the thread in the morning and catch up

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
morning all.
roll call for Saturday's ride is has follows
@busdennis
@Slioch
@ColinJ
@Pale Rider
@middleagecyclist
@Oldfentiger
@Kestevan

if riders could confirm please so we don't waste time at the start waiting for people not riding.
so the plan is a 10 am start at York Minster, Goole for drinks and snacks and then onto the Ropewalk cafe (62 miles) for lunch before a steady ride back into York before the park n ride shuts
the following is plagiarized from middleagecyclist's thread last year but covers all the parts that need covering in this modern world

Pace and Navigation

Hope to keep the group together on the whole but its no doubt liable to fracture at times. Would be good to know who will have GPS and would be willing to take a turn for a few miles as a Tail End Charlie to ensure no one gets lost. I'm not doing ride notes but I will ensure we regroup at major points.

If anyone is planning to do this as a first century (I think it is a really good one to do) you are very welcome. If you are worried about the distance and your ability to complete please let me know (by PM if you wish). I plan to make it a socially paced ride not a fast one. If some wish to go faster I could make use of you to mark junctions at times and then you could race to catch up.

Technical
The main thing is to have a well maintained bike and then problems are rare. I'm sure most do not need to hear this but I'll say it anyway - please check your tyres and make sure they are at the correct pressure. Everyone should be self sufficient with at least punctures or riding with someone who is. Bring a spare tube or two (even if you are tubeless this might be useful). I'll be carrying a spare 700 cc tyre. If your bikes needs fancy tools for something please don't expect someone else to be carrying it for you just on the off chance. Also, you can't have enough cable ties!

Safety
  1. Helmets. Wear one or don't. I do not care either way
  2. bike lock need to stop some stealing your pride and joy while in the cafe
  3. Insects in the face at speed are not pleasant and in the eyes are potentially dangerous. I suggest eye protection
  4. Please ride courteously. It will be a mixed ability group and some will be more able than others
  5. Make your own decisions about traffic/road conditions. DO NOT RELY on someone else to tell you the road is clear
  6. If you have a particular medical condition (asthma, epilepsy, etc) please let me know. It will remain confidential
  7. If you need medication please make sure you have sufficient
  8. It might be hot and sunny (please!). Long rides can dehydrate. Drink before you are thirsty
  9. Have a fully charged mobile phone. I'll give my number out at the start of the ride
  10. I will need an emergency contact number for everyone on the ride. I'll get them from you at the start.
Disclaimer
I am organizing a route for consenting adults who can ride bikes and I take no responsibility for the actions of others we may encounter. The route is on open roads. You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. Please ride within the law at all times. If you don't have third party insurance that is your choice. If you are involved in an accident, whether your fault or not, others can and do claim against you. This may not be a fellow cyclist on the ride.

Last edited:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I'll be there.
Is the meeting place obvious? Never been to York minster before.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'll be there.... might be an idea if you could PM everyone your contact no before Sat.
That way if one of us is late/delayed/partially devoured by tigers, we can at least let you know.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a successful 10 mile flat, post-concussion/blackout test ride today. I aim to do a 20-30 mile hilly test ride tomorrow. If that goes well then I am still on for Saturday and will be arriving with Oldfentiger. If not, I'll let you know. Unless I am actually dead or comatose, in which case, I won't! :laugh:

@busdennis - my number is still the one ending in 78 and I have one for you ending in 76, which I assume is still your number?

Top Bottom