York plan to ban cars from city centre.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, the mouth-breathing "I haven't ridden a bike myself since I was 10, so they must all be lycra-clad sex perverts" brigade is out in force. An amazing overlap between them, climate change deniers and hard Brexiteers. Everyone should be like them: middle-aged, and one bacon sandwich away from a coronary.

keithmac

Guru
I have the joys of living in York and the traffic planning is truely horrific as it is!.

I can't see anyone driving anywhere near the centre unless they truely had to, you wouldn't do it for fun.

They shut Micklegate Outbound down and are now reviewing why the traffic is so backed up at the Railway Station and Station rise, you couldn't make it up.

We work inside the bar walls, I cycle in but as a business we need vehicles to pick up broken down motorcycles etc,

York Council seem to be hell bent on stripping any business that is not a Coffee Shop, Pub or Hotel out of the Centre.

Slick

Guru
Great idea, good on them. Up here, Edinburgh are talking about introducing a charge and Glasgow are bringing in low emissions from 2022 effectively banning the big polluters. Hopefully banning them altogether will be the next step.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm sure the same mouth frothing went on in the 60s and 70s when areas of many town and city centres were pedestrianised... but I'm absolutely certain that not many of those critics would want to go back to the way things were.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm middle aged, white, have had one heart attack already, yet I thoroughly support the move to de motorise another town, so don't be too quick to stereotype the opposition. I'd have thought Brexit would have been a salutary lesson about how such stereotyping actually galvanises the public to get behind such groups.

Oppose them in a dignified and gentlemanly manner, else you're best keeping your own peace on that one.

MarkF

Guru
Great idea, good on them. Up here, Edinburgh are talking about introducing a charge and Glasgow are bringing in low emissions from 2022 effectively banning the big polluters. Hopefully banning them altogether will be the next step.

What does one bloke driving a vintage Mustang once a month, in summer, make? I do hope the rules are sensible.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What an excellent idea. By city centre do they mean anywhere inside the walls or further out? It will once again become a wonderful city centre without all the pollution and traffic.

classic33

Leg End Member
What an excellent idea. By city centre do they mean anywhere inside the walls or further out? It will once again become a wonderful city centre without all the pollution and traffic.
From reading the piece it's from within the City Walls.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Yep within city walls it has to be positive thing all round. People hang around and mingle if your not looking over your shoulder every 5 minutes they are free to wonder round and shop. It works on the current areas that don’t allow or limit vehicle use. Totally car free centre which can build on the current cycle routes can only be a good thing.

Venod

Eh up
York is one of my favourite cities and one we visit quite often, I think it lends itself well to a car ban within the city walls, you can't ban all motorised traffic, you still need delivery vehicles etc but the park and ride infrastructure is excellent in york so cars don't need to enter, but there are residents within the city walls who need to be considered.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
The one issue with the York proposal is that it presumably takes all such vehicles off Station Road beyond the railway station so taking away a crossing of the Ouse hence forcing traffic on the north side of the city centre either further out to Clifton or to the south on Skeldergate Bridge near Clifford's Tower. Both potentially cause serious congestion issues on top of the existing in those locations. Or is the banning of such vehicles from within the city walls a headline that the details will show something different?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We work inside the bar walls, I cycle in but as a business we need vehicles to pick up broken down motorcycles etc,

York Council seem to be hell bent on stripping any business that is not a Coffee Shop, Pub or Hotel out of the Centre.
1. Won't access to businesses for commercial vehicles be an obvious exemption?
2. Wouldn't it make more sense to relocate a motorcycle-collecting business to an orbital or arterial road anyway?
3. Bit of a leap to suggest all non-hospitality businesses are being forced out, isn't it?

In general: good move, bring it on, more places would probably do it if past councils hadn't farked their successors by building expensive loan-funded car parks in their city centres.

Top Bottom