York plan to ban cars from city centre.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
1. Won't access to businesses for commercial vehicles be an obvious exemption?
2. Wouldn't it make more sense to relocate a motorcycle-collecting business to an orbital or arterial road anyway?
3. Bit of a leap to suggest all non-hospitality businesses are being forced out, isn't it?

In general: good move, bring it on, more places would probably do it if past councils hadn't farked their successors by building expensive loan-funded car parks in their city centres.

Have you been round York recently and had a look what's there?.

keithmac

Guru
The one issue with the York proposal is that it presumably takes all such vehicles off Station Road beyond the railway station so taking away a crossing of the Ouse hence forcing traffic on the north side of the city centre either further out to Clifton or to the south on Skeldergate Bridge near Clifford's Tower. Both potentially cause serious congestion issues on top of the existing in those locations. Or is the banning of such vehicles from within the city walls a headline that the details will show something different?

Stop talking common sense, all the Tourists and Hen Parties will love it, why take York residents into account ;).

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
York is one of my favourite cities and one we visit quite often, I think it lends itself well to a car ban within the city walls, you can't ban all motorised traffic, you still need delivery vehicles etc but the park and ride infrastructure is excellent in york so cars don't need to enter, but there are residents within the city walls who need to be considered.
One problem with the P&R, you cannot park over night. We visited York recently. We stayed in a city centre Hotel, but, on phoning P&R, we were told, no overnight parking, so, we had to drive into centre and park in a city centre car park. Madness.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Have you been round York recently and had a look what's there?.

I've cycled through the centre a few times, but haven't taken a great deal of notice.

I take it local opinion is the place is being turned into a tourist theme park.

Similar is happening in Durham City, which in reality is no more than a very small town with a very big church.

A mate of mine, typical retired copper with too much money, opened a coffee shop in Durham.

He was moaning there are more than 40 places within a short walk to get a hot drink.

The irony of him adding to the number was lost, but the point about catering too much for visitors was well made.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
One problem with the P&R, you cannot park over night. We visited York recently. We stayed in a city centre Hotel, but, on phoning P&R, we were told, no overnight parking, so, we had to drive into centre and park in a city centre car park. Madness.
I agrree overnight parking at Park & Ride would be a good idea, I wonder what the thinking behind the restriction is, security liability is one possibility.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agrree overnight parking at Park & Ride would be a good idea, I wonder what the thinking behind the restriction is, security liability is one possibility.

It may have been a sop to local residents at the planning stage.

As far as I can gather, there is nothing to stop you parking a car overnight at a York park and ride, but it would mean you couldn't drive the car away until the next morning when the man arrived to open the barrier.

York operates the 'free parking/paid bus fare' model, which also means you can dump your car there and go for a bike ride.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
On thing is clear York can't carry on centre of York is just not built for the ever growing traffic.
One way or another business will and are suffering just like every other other high street.
Some different thinking is needed along with some blood ideas. Sadly councils lack skills to do it and often makes it worse.
York BID should help making a start.
As more high street names look to cut costs and move out high sheets have to offer something different having a car free centre together with shops offer something different within a medieval city is not a bad way to go.
Off the main areas are some great funky and cool shops so it's not all quickly becoming Harry Potter land. Fossgate is one example inc home to a bike recycling shop. :smile:
Some areas will need cars as with any city or town it needs people living within it.
How it's done is key it's got to be worth a try and anything is better then the current looking over your shoulder ever 5 mins.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The residents the other side of the 24h supermarket's car park?

As far as I can gather, there is nothing to stop you parking a car overnight at a York park and ride, but it would mean you couldn't drive the car away until the next morning when the man arrived to open the barrier.

York operates the 'free parking/paid bus fare' model, which also means you can dump your car there and go for a bike ride.
Nothing to stop you - other than a fine notice stuck on your car, which happened to me in another city, rescinded because I left after dinner, films and drinks (coffee for me!) at 0130 (automatic exit barrier) and they hadn't defined that as "overnight" anywhere.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

You may be right, I did not try it, just added to the city centre congestion by driving in.

However, the helpful young lady on the "help" desk, told me, if I parked overnight, at the P&R, my car would be clamped. ;)

Being beyond my first flush of youth, I don't even have to pay the bus fare at the P&R ;)

Venod

Eh up
Being beyond my first flush of youth, I don't even have to pay the bus fare at the P&R

It must have been a while since you used it, its £1.10 now, it was £1 for a long time, you don't need the ticket for coming back your concession pass is OK. this is using The Askham Bar P&R

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Or it's free to walk, cycle, and cheap to get the bus. Hell, for the occasional journey a taxi is cheaper than buying a car.

Keith mac makes a fair observation about businesses, but then should businesses of that nature be based placed in such locations anyway?

Air pollution is a massive public health crisis, the vehicles themselves dangerous to non drivers, and a well know device for generally damaging the planet. It is sad that people worry about the effect on businesses and tourism more than they do about not killing people with air pollution, and the general wellbeing of the entire planet.

The realignment is coming, its happening. It's best to get beyind it and embrace it rather than think "well, I can drive 95% of the way and then park the car disguised as a skip out the back of B&Q." There's an object lesson in all our futures here and I fear a lot of people aren't learning it. The waves of rising sea levels will be lapping at their doorsteps and some people will still be thinking about driving a single digit length journey.

In Chinese the words "change" and "opportunity" use the same symbol. The more were resist, try to dodge, come up with wheezes to subvert the rules, the more it hurts us in the long run. The quicker we embrace, adapt, and move forward, the better the experience will be at every level for everyone.

Top Bottom