York plan to ban cars from city centre.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
No point going in half-cocked. I don't know what the buses are like in York, but if they are anything like the buses in Glasgow, they would be the first thing I'd ban. Obviously alternatives would need to be in place first, same with trucks, but then I'm probably biased there as I do hate those things.
Normal sized buses in use, more smaller buses required, including tour buses.

Slick

Guru
Normal sized buses in use, more smaller buses required, including tour buses.
Sounds reasonable, although diesel power has to go regardles.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Sounds reasonable, although diesel power has to go regardles.

They are it turns out was in the news tonight. Clean air zone is coming current city centre fleet all going electric shorty. Harrogate went all electric a few years ago seams to work well they charge as they pull into the bus station stands. All over head and automatic quite seamless.

Mike_P

Guru
They are it turns out was in the news tonight. Clean air zone is coming current city centre fleet all going electric shorty. Harrogate went all electric a few years ago seams to work well they charge as they pull into the bus station stands. All over head and automatic quite seamless.
Two of the York Sightseeing buses have already been converted to electric and the Poppleton park and ride service is usually electric vehicles. Harrogate is only electric for four local routes (for just over a year), although not unknown for normal buses to turn up, plus sometimes the service along Nidderdale; the two electric vehicles that are supposed to work that service include one that was originally used for a York University service.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Every penny the tourists spend is already taxed. If your local authority and the government don't then spend any of that income improving things locally then that's hardly the fault of the tourists.

LA only sees the money the government gives them they don't get a direct income from the tax.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think its brilliant, but the British lazy ass public will moan. Hell, this thread is full of committed cyclists who are more enlightened than the norm, yet some are still complaining about what York has coming, so such a utopian experiment seems doomed to meet a lot of bleating if it were tried here.

Of course it’s down to the LA to spend right. i understand how taxation works, and don’t mean to sell tickets to the place.
York CC raised around £36m in business rates last year, and spent £1m on their Chief Exec team. Museums and heritage have to fight to stay alive, and have until recently been punished by rates.
Good cities balance tourism, localism, trade and so forth toward a wellbeing economy. York continues to struggle with the balance. IMHO places are made distinctive and interesting by their people: I suppose global forces are at work...
You might like this book, it features localism and aftermath of the market economy, among other interesting topics.
https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/surviving-the-future/

Slioch

Guru

Wasn't me either - I was washing my hair guv.

The article doesn't give any info as to what may have caused the incident, but I wonder if it could be linked to the bus making inappropriate use of the ASL for cyclists at traffic lights?

My personal experience of being a regular cyclist in York is that far too many bus drivers regard the ASL as being their own personal territory (yes First Bus, I'm talking about your so-called "professional" drivers here).

I know someone who used to be a bus driver and we talked about this, and they basically admitted that they did it in an attempt to prevent cyclists getting ahead of them, as they knew it would be almost impossible for them to subsequently overtake the cyclist on the narrow streets in the centre of York.

Just for balance, it's not just the buses that abuse the ASL's in York. You can also include taxi's, vans, BMW's, Audi's etc etc.

Top Bottom