York Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
It was certainly a superb ride and made all the better for meeting a few of you for the first time.

Great thanks to Tinytwin for planning a superb route, and to Uncle Phil who, despite nursing his recent injuries, came up trumps with the rock cakes. (Not sure that laid-back riding is for me though, I found it uses up too much skin. I hope I didn't bend it too much though, Uncle Phil, but thanks for the opportunity anyway!)

Thanks also to the rider who has friends in high places, (Arch?) in that the weather gods were most benevolent to us.

Mrs A and I look forward to the next CC ride.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
ComedyPilot said:
I went to the Millenium Bridge to meet Velocidad, we missed each other on the way, and by the time I'd waited at the bridge, the others had set off...

Life stranger than fiction as we joked this would happen...
though our vision involved you waving to each other from the various bridges on york but never meeting on the same one (Carry on York?)

Very well organised (thanks claire) ride with some great scenery and uppy and downy bits, met some nice new cc'ers.

Good to see un(unbreakable)cle phil up & about and not affecting his tea & bakery skills:ohmy:

Managed to be put off recumbrent for life after g'atwicks 'accident'

Don't know what spandex (& sorry we did not see you:blush:)has been doing to helen, but her road side mechanic skills were very impressive:biggrin:

As usual I'm still astounded by a ride time of four & quarter hours - but actually out time of about six & half!!!

Oh well next one the TOB meet up???

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=39756

Shaun

Founder
velocidad said:
... and i managed a personal best of 134 miles for the day.:biggrin: i have had to slather my bottom with sudocrem though, there are worse things :ohmy:

cheers,

velocidad.

Bloody hell, I think I'd have needed ice packs (and lots of them) - never mind Sudocrem!!! Well done mate! :laugh::biggrin:

Sounds like you all had a good day - and I like the Un(breakable)cle thought, glad to hear Phil's doing okay.

I hear the next one is Sat 12th Sept? Might have to work on buttering-up Mrs. Admin to see if I can get a pass ... :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
velocidad said:
thanks to comedy pilot ... i have had to slather my bottom with sudocrem though, there are worse things :angry:

cheers,

velocidad.

Shocking:ohmy:

No wonder you didn't catch up with us!:sad:

Bokonon

Über Member
Good ride, thanks for organising it Tinytwin. Shame we didn't get to meet velocidad, but it sounds like he had fun with ComedyPilot.

Jelly Mould

Über Member
Thanks Tinytwin! It was good to get out and explore a much flatter part of Yorkshire, and to meet so many famous residents of CycleChat. :-)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jelly Mould said:
Thanks Tinytwin! It was good to get out and explore a much flatter part of Yorkshire, and to meet so many famous residents of CycleChat. :-)

:biggrin:

You ain't seen nothing yet. I will take everyone to Howden one day (but it will have to be a Saturday, as the nice cafe is closed on Sundays...). Then you'll see a much flatter part of Yorkshire.

I'm sorry Velocidad and ComedyPilot never caught up - you must have had quite a pace on - and that's a very impressive total distance Velocidad! Glad you had a good time anyway....:biggrin:

I'm glad both park and riders got back ok, my directions were a bit sketchy and after I told Jelly Mould to 'follow that bus!' I was suddenly worried it might be the bus going to Craigwend's park and ride....

A very good day out, and huge extra thanks to Tinytwin and Uncle Phil for the tea stop, especially considering that the patient could easily have sat weakly in a chair and had us all mopping his brow etc... I dont think I said thankyou for the widget properly, hope you enjoy the book!

Pocklington in September then, I have to get a bit of training in to get my speed up if we're going to beat the pros back to York...

Jelly Mould

Über Member
Arch said:
I'm glad both park and riders got back ok, my directions were a bit sketchy and after I told Jelly Mould to 'follow that bus!' I was suddenly worried it might be the bus going to Craigwend's park and ride.....

Yes, it was the bus going to Craigwend's, but luckily I decided to follow the signs to the A19/Selby instead when it turned right off this route, so I got back without any problems. :biggrin:

I look forward to an even flatter ride in the future! :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jelly Mould said:
I look forward to an even flatter ride in the future! :biggrin:

I'll add it to the list of possibles for later on - it can rack up to 60 miles or so, so might be one for the spring.

Ideally, to be done when the grass is still short, if I can ever find again the interesting thing on the verge I was once shown...

ASC1951

Guru
Jelly Mould said:
It was good to get out and explore a much flatter part of Yorkshire, and to meet so many famous residents of CycleChat. :-)
Well, I'm sorry I missed it again. I was pedalling up some classic Tour climbs in the Alps - very, very slowly.

Arch, where is your 'nice cafe in Howden'? I trundle through there every now and then on a Leeds-York-Howden-Taddy ride but usually end up going to the grim diner at Boothferry Bridge because I can't find anywhere better. [Someone did suggest one on the industrial estate in Goole, but it closes at 12.30, so I wheel up just after they stop serving.]

Arch

Married to Night Train
ASC1951 said:
Well, I'm sorry I missed it again. I was pedalling up some classic Tour climbs in the Alps - very, very slowly.

Arch, where is your 'nice cafe in Howden'? I trundle through there every now and then on a Leeds-York-Howden-Taddy ride but usually end up going to the grim diner at Boothferry Bridge because I can't find anywhere better. [Someone did suggest one on the industrial estate in Goole, but it closes at 12.30, so I wheel up just after they stop serving.]

Right next to the Minster, on the main street with the war memorial/market cross(?) thing at the end. It's a cheese shop and deli too. A tip from Soltydog - buy a sandwich to take out, it's cheaper and there are benches nearby to sit on.... The one problem is that it's closed on Sundays. Their cheese platter selection is a feast for the cheese fan.

There is also, in the churchyard, a gravestone with a bicycle engraved on it. There's something to hunt for......

I haven't been to it, but I think there is (was?) a bookshop in one of the little side streets with a cafe in it.

OP
OP
T

Tinytwin

I am delighted you all enjoyed the ride, and the rock buns afterwards. It is the people who make up the group, as much as the length of the ride and the scenery that make for a pleasant ride. We had about the right number of people who, by and large, managed to keep together for chatting. Sorry Velocity Pilot and Craigwend were unable to catch up. We did go slowly - promise! Another time. I hope ASC1951 is enjoying the rather more hilly Alps with the breathtaking views! It is a pity that you were unable to master the recumbent, Gerry Attrick. It may take more time and confidence, which a short stopover didn't allow for, and I can understand you wanted to retain the little bit of skin you had left over! Thanks for bringing Mrs GA with you. Good to see new faces.
If Phil is up to it, we will be cycling to Norway :biggrin: if anyone is interested in coming along for 2 weeks. We will catch a ferry to Holland from Hull, travel up the west coast of Denmark and take the ferry to Norway, camping along the way. Phil will fly back from Stavanger to Newcastle. I have to be in Norway by the 20th September. I am still waiting for Phil to book time off work, so that we can book the outward ferry!:biggrin:

Top Bottom