York to Filey RTN

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy1

I don't know if its classed as touring or not but yesterday I did my longest ever one day ride .A York to filey and back which turned out to be just under 93 miles. I'm absolutely knackered and my legs are killing me.How do people do these long rides day after day without killing themselves or sleeping for a week inbetween each ride.
When I got back though I watched The man who cycled the world which was very inspirational.

Bigtallfatbloke

Well done!! 93 is a LONG ride!

I can only speak for myself.

When at home I ride 35km a day unless th e weather is really bad. But it is boring...just round in a loop, for the sake of riding.
On tour it is totally different. I have a destination, some focus. Also ( and this is the real difference) I have no safty net, not comfy home to go to, no reasons/excuses to not ride. Also on tour it costs me nothing on the bike, but as soon as I stop it costs money.
In France I would ride 30km before I even ate anything...then I would have a pasty from a bakers and then nothing except a bag of sweets or biscuits until dinner in the tent.
I hardly noticed the km's adding up. I drank all the time (water!). I never ate dairy products as they give me lactic acid legs which i detest. I slept like a baby most nights in the tent...sometimes without the tent. At home I need to stretch before a ride...strangely on tour I never do...I just get up and ride and the more I ride the harder it is to stop. I put it down to to years of carbohydrate 'reserves' being used up.

OP
OP
galaxy1

galaxy1

I think that would be excellent,to cycle all day with a vague destination in mind with a tent and when you get tired just pitch up..preferably in the middle of nowhere.As soon as my knees and legs stop hurting ,I might start planning that.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I like touring too in the whole 'destination' thing. I find it hard to 'go out for a ride' unless I have somewhere to aim for!!

93 miles is phenomenal. I'm speechless.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I did 100 miles the other week in one day, with 7600+ feet of climbing. Normally I do about 40-50 a day, and to focus I just remember what a fat git I was, and how nice my developing 6 pack will look like (when it gets here)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm not a tourer but I find this destination motivation quite interesting. I went to a festival yesterday in Leeds and had to get there for a particular time and the legs still were a bit funny from saturday's 48 mile offering. With a target it seemed to change things quite radically. Not only did I arrive two hours earlier than I'd factored in but it just didn't seem to take anything particularly out and my legs have never felt better in stark contrast to a similar route earlier in the year where I crawled home. It's been somewhat puzzling me to say the least. 93 miles is fantastic and nice destination and route :laugh:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cathryn said:
I like touring too in the whole 'destination' thing. I find it hard to 'go out for a ride' unless I have somewhere to aim for!!

93 miles is phenomenal. I'm speechless.

You need to start Audaxing Cathryn. I try to do one 100km a weekend though this year I've not been too committed and have only done fifteen so far.

Audaxes can put a focus on one's riding and although I ride some organised Audaxes, more than half of my rides are self plotted.

A possible incentive is that one can purchase a badge for every successful completion and/or print a completion certificate.

Self plotted Audaxes can be 50km, 100km, 200km and multiples of 100km thereafter.

There's a nice organised Audax ride from Hebden Bridge on 5th Oct - hilly 50km ride but the time limit for completion is over six hours.

Wiggington nr York on 12 Oct is a nice 100km Audax with a time limit of eight and half hours or so.

More rides can be seen here: http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm

vernon

galaxy1 said:
I don't know if its classed as touring or not but yesterday I did my longest ever one day ride .A York to filey and back which turned out to be just under 93 miles. I'm absolutely knackered and my legs are killing me.How do people do these long rides day after day without killing themselves or sleeping for a week inbetween each ride.
When I got back though I watched The man who cycled the world which was very inspirational.

Well done!

Keep at it but try shorter rides on a regular basis to build up your stamina and tolerance of saddle time.

I can normally manage 100 miles but sometimes at the end of a ride I sometimes feel like I've been hit by a bus.

Try using something like www.mapmyride.com to plot yourself some routes and have a look at the gradient profiles.

WARNING! Do not plot a totally flat route. I once plotted a nearly totally flat route out to Thorn and back and found it incredibly difficult. There's no hills to coast down to get a respite from pedalling. Pedalling the full distance proved to be very uncomfortable.

OP
OP
galaxy1

galaxy1

I don't usually do that kind of distance.I have a 16 mile round trip commute to work and thats about it but I found cycling to somewhere ,especially with someone is alot of fun.Vernon I'll check out mapmyride.com and also google maps .It's gonna be fun planning some routes .Does anyone know how to secure a tent to the pannier rack?I was thinking maybe sum netting.No idea where to get that stuff from though.

vernon

marinyork said:
Thanks for the audax info vernon, I didn't realise you were allowed to be so slow on audaxes :biggrin:.

The minimum average speed varies and can be a minefield for the unwary:

These are the generalisations:

DIY Permanent audaxes under 200km - 8.3 km/hr
DIY Permanent audaxes 200+km - 14.4km/hr
Permanent audaxes under 200km can be 8.3, 10, 12.5 or 15km/hr
Permanent 200km audaxes 14.3 or 15km/hr depending on the organiser

Organised audaxes @ 100km are between 10 and 15km/hr

Organised audaxes @200 - 600km are 15km/hr

Then there's the complexities of tourist pace for the 1000km rides but that's not an area that I'll ever threaten with my presence so I'm unfamiliar with it.

As always, there's a ride or two that will fall outside of the ranges that I have specified.

It is important to remember the the clock does not stop ticking after the ride has commenced (in organised events the clock starts ticking at the scheduled start of the event and a late arrival at the start does not get any time concessions. All stoppages drag the average speed down.

vernon

galaxy1 said:
I don't usually do that kind of distance.I have a 16 mile round trip commute to work and thats about it but I found cycling to somewhere ,especially with someone is alot of fun.Vernon I'll check out mapmyride.com and also google maps .It's gonna be fun planning some routes .Does anyone know how to secure a tent to the pannier rack?I was thinking maybe sum netting.No idea where to get that stuff from though.

I use bungees to secure my two man tent to the pannier rack. If I am using my one man tent then it goes into one of my panniers.

OP
OP
galaxy1

galaxy1

I have 2 pannier bags which aren't massive so a tent won't fit if I want to take clothes ,sleeping bag ,tools etc.bungees may be the way forward then

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well that's told me. I might well be looking to doing one on those paces. It always sounded to me from people talking on here about audaxes that people would get to the start, put on fake beards and zoom off at 18-20mph. It could definitely be interesting as 100k is the sort of distance I have problems with. Thanks for the useful info!

vernon

marinyork said:
Well that's told me. I might well be looking to doing one on those paces. It always sounded to me from people talking on here about audaxes that people would get to the start, put on fake beards and zoom off at 18-20mph. It could definitely be interesting as 100k is the sort of distance I have problems with. Thanks for the useful info!

There's a nice one that starts in Clowne and goes through Clumber park. It's very popular and runs on two separate Sundays - 11th and 18th October. If you are interested you need to get an entry submitted asap as the two events tend to be oversubscribed.

Top Bottom