England : North Yorkshire Yorkshire Dales ride from Settle - DATE CHANGED TO SUNDAY, 3rd July 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been exchanging ideas with @Sea of vapours about the route of this year's Yorkshire Dales ride from Settle and between us we have come up with another variation which will hopefully be as popular as the previous 2 incarnations.

Take a look at the threads for the 2011 ride and the 2015 ride for inspiration, scribble the date in your diaries, and sign up for the ride below. (We are keeping Sat 9th July as a reserve date in case foul weather stops play on the 2nd. It is a very exposed route and we would not want to be 500+ metres up in a thunderstorm!)

The full route is going to be very tough, but we have designed the route so you can skip 2 very hard climbs after the cafe stop in Hawes and take a shortcut back to Settle via Ribblehead and Horton-in-Ribblesdale if that suits you better. There is also a second shortcut if anybody ignores the first but then finds that the third tough climb of the route over-tires them. (In fact, this shortcut still involves a steep climb, but it would be better than struggling to finish the main route.)

We aim to start by riding from Settle to Little Stainforth and then crossing the Ribble to Stainforth via a small bridge which @Sea of vapours reports is currently undergoing repairs. We think that it will be passable on the day of the ride, but he will check a few days before to make sure. (If the bridge is not available then we will have to head straight from Settle to Stainforth on the B6479.)

We will climb over from Stainforth to Littondale past the lower slopes of Pen-y-ghent. The climb is quite a tough one, but not as hard as the alternative climbs from Settle or Langcliffe would have been.

We will ride down Littondale through Arncliffe to Wharfedale where we will turn left and head north through Kettlewell and on to Buckden where we will turn left again and ride up lovely Langstrothsdale Chase.

Our next climbing challenge will be Fleet Moss. I don't think it is quite as tough from this side as it is coming from Hawes, but it is still going to be hard work.

Fabulous views from the top of Fleet Moss, then a great descent to Hawes.

***************************** A WARNING! *****************************
The descent of Fleet Moss towards Hawes frequently catches riders out. Caught out as in - resulting in an impromptu trip on the Yorkshire air ambulance, hospital, a very spoilt day. PLEASE TAKE CARE!

There is an initial descent which lets you build up speed very rapidly, but then the road starts to flatten out. What you cannot see from the bike is that the road then very abruptly drops away in front of you.

The Fleet Moss descent problem.gif

The first time that I did this descent, I was unaware of the problem until I found myself flying through the air on my bike with the road falling away beneath me. How I kept control when I landed, I don't know, but someone else on the same audax ride was not so lucky and ended up in hospital. There have been many others.
I REPEAT - PLEASE TAKE CARE!

Just be sensible and you will be ok!

We are going to have a cafe stop in Hawes. It was very hectic there on our last Settle ride, but it is the only sensible option for our stop. We will just have to put up with the crowds!

If you feel like taking a shortcut back rather than doing the next couple of hard climbs, then you can simply turn left up the B6255 out of Hawes and do the long drag up to Ribblehead where you can turn left again onto the B6479 and do a long descent to Settle.

Those with more energy (and less sense!) can stick with me round to Garsdale Head where we will climb up 'The Coal Road' and over to Dent station. I have never done it in this direction but many people have told me that it is a very hard climb, and it certainly looked it when I descended it a few years back!

If the Coal Road causes you problems then you can take bailout option #2 after the descent from Dent station. We will be turning right at Cowgill and heading down Dentdale towards Dent village. You could opt to turn left instead and climb up to Newby Head Moss where you turn right onto the route of shortcut #1 and follow that back to Settle.

We will not be going into Dent itself, but will instead turn left at Coventree and do the stiff climb up Deepdale. Again, I have not ridden the route in that direction before, but I am looking forward to it. We will be riding up from the valley in the distance to the point where I stood to take this photograph and then doing what should be a glorious descent down Kingsdale to Ingleton.

Deepdale to Dentdale.jpg

We will take the quiet road from Ingleton to Newby Cote where we will part company with Sea of Vapours. He lives a bit further on down that road, but we will be turning right and crossing the A65. After that we return to Settle via Clapham station, Eldroth and Giggleswick.

The full route is 114 kms (71 miles) in length and has 4 hard climbs and a few easier ones. The route taking the second bailout option from Cowgill is 104 kms (65 miles) and it has 3.5 hard climbs. The shortest route is 92 kms long (57 miles) and has 2 hard climbs plus a long drag up to Ribblehead.

Map showing full loop in red, second bailout in amber, first bailout in green:

Settle forum ride 02-07-16 routes.png

Elevation profiles of the 3 options:

Settle forum ride 02-07-16 profile.gif

Settle forum ride 02-07-16 shortcut from Cowgill profile.gif

Settle forum ride 02-07-16 shortcut from Hawes profile.gif

More details will follow, including GPX files of the three routes.

Sign up below. Anybody with enough fitness to at least tackle the shortest version is welcome. We will ride at the speed of the slowest rider, and will probably only average about 13-14 kph/8-9 mph, including stops.

WATCH THIS SPACE!

Last edited:
Should be up for this. Dont suppose it is heading toward ingleton at the start and save me the ride to settle :tongue:

Should be up for this. Dont suppose it is heading toward ingleton at the start and save me the ride to settle :tongue:
Nope - it's heading to Ingleton at the end, which saves you ending up in Settle and having to cycle back.
.....we have designed the route so you can skip 2 very hard climbs after the cafe stop in Hawes and take a shortcut back to Settle via Ribblehead and Horton-in-Ribblesdale....
And you can also skip just one of the two climbs at the end and still get back to Settle, via Horton-in-Ribblesdale. i..e there are two sensible bail-out points.

Where and at what time are you meeting Col? Like I said I should be OK work etc dependant, oh and the weather, if it rains will stop in and watch the tdef :tongue:

Well I'm certainly up for it.

Point of order though: the 'long drag up to Ribblehead' is, imho, quite a nice, easy ascent and wouldn't pose much of an obstacle for anyone doing the first bail-out. The summit is actually about half way from Hawes to Ribblehead, at Newby Head Pass, after which it's an almost unbroken 25km downhill to Settle (as on your last graphic - that final peak is Newby Head Pass).

For anyone wavering, this really is an excellent series of climbs and exceptionally scenic, with the final descent into Kingsdale being a very fine, quick bit of road.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Where and at what time are you meeting Col? Like I said I should be OK work etc dependant, oh and the weather, if it rains will stop in and watch the tdef :tongue:
I still have to decide how I am getting there so that might influence the start time, but for now let's say meet in Settle in front of Ye Old Naked Man cafe at about 09:45 with a view to setting off at 10:00?

Point of order though: the 'long drag up to Ribblehead' is, imho, quite a nice, easy ascent and wouldn't pose much of an obstacle for anyone doing the first bail-out. The summit is actually about half way from Hawes to Ribblehead, at Newby Head Pass, after which it's an almost unbroken 25km downhill to Settle (as on your last graphic - that final peak is Newby Head Pass).
You are definitely right about the summit. For some reason, I had forgotten that Ribblehead is downhill from there and hadn't noticed when I plotted the maps and profiles!

By 'drag' I mean a climb of moderate gradient - nothing too demanding, but requiring some effort, especially noticeable when tired. Clearly not as long as I thought though. There is about 2 km at ~4.5% out of Hawes followed by a 2.3 km descent. After that about 5.6 km at an average of around 3%. It is roughly equivalent to doing the Cragg Vale climb out of Mytholmroyd, only with that descent added after the first part.

Riders so far:

I would say either bail out starts with some significant incline if only for a short distance. Main road out of Hawes hits 20% + and the stretch under the railway bridge on option 2 wont be far off.

doughnut

Veteran
Definitely interested in this one Colin - this was one of my best rides last year, but I am still suffering from the cold that kept me out of the Cheshire 200. Think I am on the mend at last, but I lost about 5lbs in weight in the last week or two. Not had a cold this bad for a long time. I will need to get out on the bike a bit in the next couple of weeks to find out if the legs are still working ok. If I can stop coughing for long enough, then I have my eye on the York 100 as well.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Definitely interested in this one Colin - this was one of my best rides last year, but I am still suffering from the cold that kept me out of the Cheshire 200. Think I am on the mend at last, but I lost about 5lbs in weight in the last week or two. Not had a cold this bad for a long time. I will need to get out on the bike a bit in the next couple of weeks to find out if the legs are still working ok. If I can stop coughing for long enough, then I have my eye on the York 100 as well.
GWVS!

I hope that you can make both of the rides. Don't forget that you could take a very easy shortcut back from Hawes if you have to on this ride. If you look at the profile for that version you will see that there is a tough early climb, and then the difficult ascent of Fleet Moss. Apart from those two, the rest of the short route is not too bad, or very easy.

doughnut

Veteran
It'll be a long time before I forget Fleet Moss! Target this year will be to make it to the top with gritted teeth and quiet muttering as opposed to last year's cursing and grunting :heat:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It's popularly cited as being easier from the side we're doing it this time. I'm not wholly convinced, but it's definitely psychologically easier and prettier from the south (this year's route).
It could just be that I was fitter the year that I did it in this direction. I didn't have a problem riding north, but found riding south difficult on all 3 occasions.

Top Bottom