England : North Yorkshire Yorkshire Dales ride from Settle - DATE CHANGED TO SUNDAY, 3rd July 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Crackin' write up to end a very fine day, nice photo's as well.
My GPS gave me 78.06 miles and 7772' of climbing. It also tells me that the climb out of Ingleton is a cat 4 climb so that gives us five categorised climbs for the day! That comes under 'one of the hardest days on a bike' ever(for me anyway).
So ... was I exaggerating about that dodgy overtake? It felt really dangerous to me, but you got a grandstand view of it unfolding in front of you!

You were not exaggerating in the slightest young sir, in my view he tried to overtake when the road was not really wide enough to do so at the speed you were traveling. Besides, there was if I recall a bend coming up. There was also less space between the car and you than between the car and offside verge!:eek:
Frankly , as I said at the time, I'd have followed you and been seriously impressed that it's possible to go that fast on a bike and maintain control:notworthy:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And did he say he's put a cheque for twelve and a half quid in the post?
Nope, but we both agreed to be careful to stick parking tickets to the windscreen in future!

I had looked for a sticky strip on the front face of our ticket, but there wasn't one. What I had not noticed was that there was a peel-off sticky label on the back of the ticket which could be used to attach it.

Anyway, that's that. We could have afforded to pay that fine, but it would have been annoying since we had bought the ticket.

I will be organising a forum ride from Whalley to Wray soon, a rerun of THIS RIDE. It is a hilly route, but nowhere near as hilly as this Settle ride was.

I am trying to get Bill interested but he is fairly busy over the next few weeks. If I don't get a lift to Whalley from him then I would have to ride to Whalley from Todmorden and back afterwards. Tiring, but doable. The main ride is just over a metric century. The ride including the sections between Todmorden and Whalley would be just under an imperial century so I would find somewhere to add enough extra distance to cover the full 100 miles.

I'll start a new thread nearer the time.

Top Bottom