England : North Yorkshire Yorkshire Dales ride from Settle - DATE CHANGED TO SUNDAY, 3rd July 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Saturday morning and the latest from the Global home is that family arrangements are conspiring to make it unlikely we can make it. Sorry-o!

I would love to come on this ride. It seems right up my alley.

Just checked Google Maps and it reckons over 3 hours driving to get to the starting point. I can't really justify that, but hope you all have a great day.

Graham

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, the forecast has certainly been accurate here today - heavy showers, windy, cool, with just the odd sunny spell. I was worried that we'd end up with a nice day today and then a grotty one tomorrow!

Saturday morning and the latest from the Global home is that family arrangements are conspiring to make it unlikely we can make it. Sorry-o!
Oh dear! Never mind - watch out for my ride from Whalley to Wray later in the year, and (hopefully) @Ajay's South Lakes ride from near Lancaster in August.

I would love to come on this ride. It seems right up my alley.

Just checked Google Maps and it reckons over 3 hours driving to get to the starting point. I can't really justify that, but hope you all have a great day.

Graham
My sister takes 2.5 hours on a good day to get here from Towcester. Sometimes 3.5+ hours. It is about another hour to Settle from here. You would probably have gone a slightly different route from Leeds but I reckon you would have needed very good traffic conditions to make it in close to 3 hours!

I must make an effort to get up to Yorkshire for a few days riding. Some of those climbs look epic.

Graham
I can see why you wouldn't want to do the drive twice in one day for one ride. A long weekend, or a whole week though - definitely worth it!

There are plenty of us up here to ride with, or to advise you on routes. Just remember to pack good weather when you come! :laugh:

It's seriously windy here today and that's at 200m altitude, and there's distant thunder. Very much not a day to be out at this level, and certainly not at nearly 600m. Tomorrow's definitely tolerable, with a lot less wind and only an occasional shower.

lpretro1

Don't let rustybearing kill himself on some of those descents please - I'd like to get another 11 years out of him yet - enjoy the ride - wish I was fit enough to come with you but not yet - thanks from Mrs Rusty :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Don't let rustybearing kill himself on some of those descents please - I'd like to get another 11 years out of him yet - enjoy the ride - wish I was fit enough to come with you but not yet - thanks from Mrs Rusty :smile:
Ha ha ... I was already planning to repeat the warning I gave in post #1 about the descent of Fleet Moss! It is just so sneaky, the way the road suddenly drops away below you. It is the only time that I have ever accidentally taken off on a bike, wondering to myself - WTF!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Mostly it is obvious where the dangers are, but that one really catches people out.

Let's hope that we see you on a ride in the future! We do tackle easier rides too, from time to time. I don't know what you would be comfortable with but I have said in the past that I would organise something a bit less demanding if people wanted me to. The trouble is that all the interesting routes round here have quite a lot of hills. We could always do a shorter ride. It would still be lumpy, but perhaps 40 miles rather than 70+?

STOP PRESS ... I just took a call from Kevin, pal of my pal Carrie. Carrie can't make it tomorrow, but apparently Kevin can. He hasn't come on any of my rides without her before but she told him not to be shy, so he will be there in the morning!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Let's hope that we see you on a ride in the future! We do tackle easier rides too, from time to time. I don't know what you would be comfortable with but I have said in the past that I would organise something a bit less demanding if people wanted me to. The trouble is that all the interesting routes round here have quite a lot of hills. We could always do a shorter ride. It would still be lumpy, but perhaps 40 miles rather than 70+?
I just remembered that you have been posting rides in the half century a month challenge so you should be fine with a 40 miler. If you and rusty choose a weekend when I am free, we could do a rerun of THIS RIDE that rusty joined me for last year. The good thing about that one is that it is easy to stop after the cafe in Hebden Bridge if you don't feel up to the second loop taking in the Cragg Vale climb.

Mostly it is obvious where the dangers are, but that one really catches people out.
The other one which has caught people out is the first of the two gates on the way down into Kingsdale (two gates on the way up, two on the way down). There's not an awful lot of warning of 'metal thing across road' due to a bend preceding it.

There's a patch of uneven, broken road half way down the descent of the Coal Road too, which I'll try and mention again tomorrow too.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah yes, those gates ... :whistle:

The first time that I descended Deepdale (towards Dent) was in heavy mist and the riders with me failed to warn me that the road is gated ... After emergency braking I stopped with my front tyre about 2 inches from a closed gate. (Admittedly, descending unfamiliar steep hills quickly in heavy mist is not a brilliant idea even if there are no gates!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The rider list currently ...
  • ColinJ
  • Bill
  • Sea of vapours
  • rusty bearing
  • Kevin (not a CycleChat member)
  • [Globalti, Globalti jnr, pal of Globalti Unlikely due to family matters]
Other riders welcome, including for a shorter version of the route as long as you are happy to find your own way back when you leave the rest of us.

Mrs Bearing is hiding her light under the proverbial bushel. We did a brilliant ride from Carlisle over the hills and across the border to Newcastleton last year, 40+ miles and 4200 feet of climbing.
Might be an excellent idea to have a few 'gentler' rides to encourage folk?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Apparently, we might have a few light showers early in the ride but the second half should be clear and dry.

The wind here (an hour's drive from Settle) is very blustery at the moment. We are tackling a circular loop so we should get help from it some of the time and be battered by it at others. We will have to watch it coming off Fleet Moss. Gusting side winds can be very scary when descending fast!

I have just forced myself to eat my pre-ride porridge. I don't like eating big meals early, but I know that I would suffer later if I didn't.

Another few minutes on the forum while I finish my mug of tea, and then I had better get ready.

See you in Settle!

Mrs Bearing is hiding her light under the proverbial bushel. We did a brilliant ride from Carlisle over the hills and across the border to Newcastleton last year, 40+ miles and 4200 feet of climbing.
Might be an excellent idea to have a few 'gentler' rides to encourage folk?
Ah ah! How about repeating that 2 loop ride we did from Hebden Bridge last year in a few weekends time?

It's the nicest day all week here and a huge improvement on yesterday. The wind is greatly diminished and if I had to bet on it I'd say that any showers won't happen or will be very light and brief. All that said, it doesn't feel like summer outside by any stretch. See you outside Ye Olde Naked Man in a couple of hours.

Top Bottom