England : North Yorkshire Yorkshire Dales ride from Settle - DATE CHANGED TO SUNDAY, 3rd July 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If it's any help I could get you as far as Colne, then I can drop onto the M65 back to Chorley?
That's very nice of you! I'm still hoping for weather decent enough to be able to persuade my friend Bill to join us for the ride, and if so, I will get a lift from him. (He lives in the next street.)

If Bill is a no-show I might well be taking you up on that offer! :okay:

Meanwhile ... where did I put that 'Ass Saver'? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, Sunday it is! Stupid to do it in awful conditions tomorrow when a 24 hour delay should fix the problem. Apologies to @doughnut, but there will be other rides to join us on.

A shout out to @oldfatfool and @busdennis - note the change of date, if that is any help?

Meet at Ye Olde Naked Man cafe in Settle shortly before 10:00 with a view to setting off at 10:00.

@rusty bearing - thanks for your kind offer of a lift but one will not be needed this time because my pal Bill is coming along and will pick me up from my house. We aim to set off at 08:30 so I imagine that we will get there at about 09:45.

If anybody else fancies joining us for the ride, you are welcome to, but be aware that the hills and descents are very severe! It will be a hard day out on the bikes.

See y'all on Sunday morning!

PS Oh, I forgot to ask - @Sea of vapours - did you manage to check that bridge at Stainforth?

doughnut

Veteran
Good call - its not looking at all good for tomorrow, but the forecast for Sunday should make it a great ride. Sorry I cant make it but I will catch up with you all at another ride sometime.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to join you on this one due to family commitments. I'm glad Sunday is looking good weatherwise and also pleased your pal Bill can get you there and back, Colin.

Have a great ride everyone.

MarkF

Guru
Wish I could have gone on this, Colin has picked a lovely route (though bleedin tough). Sunday is the right choice, I rode Ilkley, Skipton, Malham, Grassington last week in the rain, the Dales can be a cold, miserable and bleak place even in June. I hope you all have a great ride out. :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

So, the rider list currently looks like ...
  • ColinJ
  • Bill
  • Sea of vapours
  • rusty bearing
  • Globalti
  • Globalti jnr
  • pal of Globalti
Remember, you can "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!" (If you DO come and you turn out NOT to be hard enough, we have bailout options for you after the cafe stop in Hawes! :laugh:)

... but local rider @Sea of vapours has been unpaid route consultant for the second and third editions! :okay:
Oh - unpaid was it? I'll scrap that invoice I had lined up for you then :rolleyes:

I've not checked the bridge inside the last week but I've been over it twice since it was damaged and it's been passable on both occasions so I'm fairly confident it'll be OK - certainly worth risking. The detour is probably about twenty minutes, in the unlikely event that that proves not to be the case. it's only a parapet which is damaged - it's not going to fall into the Ribble or anything (though it would be easy to fall off it, into the Ribble!).

I did potter up the Coal Road last week in similar winds to Sunday's forecast (i.e. headwind on the upward section) and the good news is that it's so steep that I was sheltered from the wind ... You may take some consolation from that or not ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom