You are not a proper cyclist unless you shave your legs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
miloat said:
Just dont get it my self.

Try shaving, you might get lucky? :biggrin:

smoothilk

I've been shaving for sometime now and I have to say I have noticed the difference when I haven't shaved.
Firstly when I've shaven I've had no hairs pulling in any areas, eg under the leg grippers etc and also no hairs poking out through the lyrca, which I have to say looks odd.
Also looks great and feels great and has it's benefits.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Read The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton for a good explanation of leg shaving. Seaton writes that it's a sort of rite of passage for the amateur cyclist who is going serious because hairy legs would get you laughed out of a proper peloton. It has benefits for massage of course but mostly it's the aesthetic look, the clean pure look of the committed cyclist in matching kit.

I did it once years ago but I fell off my bike that day so haven't done it since. I'm more concerned about my disgusting hairy back and Mrs RR has had a go at that with wax strips, which wasn't very successful. I always trim the ear hair and always pluck nostril hairs that grow too long. Don't want to end up looking like a hairy old Greek man.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
Read The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton for a good explanation of leg shaving. Seaton writes that it's a sort of rite of passage for the amateur cyclist who is going serious because hairy legs would get you laughed out of a proper peloton. It has benefits for massage of course but mostly it's the aesthetic look, the clean pure look of the committed cyclist in matching kit.

When I raced I always raced with shaved legs, and I am sure Matt Seaton's reason is the correct one, I can remember riding road races and anybody with hairy legs got alot of abuse, and it was often an indication that they were a bit green (as in novice not eco warrior), and tactically useless.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seaton also reckons that an experienced rider can gauge another rider's likely strengths and weaknesses by studying his muscles - sprinter, climber, whatever.

wafflycat

Shaving the legs is an advantage if you come off the bike & suffer road rash. When WCMnr had his bad crash & got taken to horse-spittle, the A&E nurses remarked about how much easier smooth legs made their job of ensuring the wounds were properly cleaned, as did the first-aiders on site when the crash happened. Apparently if left hairy, it makes it easier to miss specks of dirt in the wounds and also more difficult to flush out the dirt in the first place.

From my POV, when MrWC requires a bit of assistance with those difficult to reach places, much fun can be had with the shaving foam... and that fun has nothing to do with cycling :laugh::girl::cry:

I've never done before as I've never raced. I usually wear long bibs in all but the hottest weather. I've signed up for two triathlons so far for next season and intend to wear a tri-suit so I'll be using the razor early on. How high up and where to stop is the eternal question it would seem. I'm swimming a few times a week so I guess I'll be buying cycling short length/style swimming shorts to stop the hairy boxer look if I don't shave too high. My wife will hate it ;)

Sam Kennedy

Renard said:

Discus?

47217_full-lnd.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
mr Mag00 said:
am i the only one with bare inside thighs :biggrin: and dont really have a prob with where to stop
No, Mine are pretty clear.
Several of my cycling pals have hairless legs naturally... where's the fun in that!

Top Bottom