You ever done this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I picked up a chain wear tool. Should have bought one years back really. My kmc gold chain all clean and new looking. The .75 dropped straight through so I turned it around and the 1.0 dropped right in there. I've probably been loosing watts and wearing my teeth out. New chain on its way. I'm looking forward to fitting it and hear/feel the difference. So now I'll be keeping a closer eye on things.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
With a chain that worn, there is a good chance that your cassette is too... Have you checked that?

I changed a chain once the night before a very hilly audax event. I didn't bother riding the bike that evening and set off for event HQ first thing in the morning. The new chain started slipping before I even got to the end of my (flat) road.!I had to go home and change bikes. Unfortunately, the second bike didn't have gears anywhere near as low so the steep hills on the event felt much tougher than normal.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes, expect the chain to slip badly on the old cassette. Keep the old chain so you can refit it while waiting for a new cassette to arrive.....
And while we are on the subject, who doesn't have a spare cassette and chain in the cupboard, ready to fit when needed?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Yes, expect the chain to slip badly on the old cassette. Keep the old chain so you can refit it while waiting for a new cassette to arrive.....
And while we are on the subject, who doesn't have a spare cassette and chain in the cupboard, ready to fit when needed?
I had spare chains but out. I have spare cassettes though. It's an Ultegra cassette too. After a visual inspection it doesn't seem that worn but it will be.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I definitely have at least one cassette left for my best bike, but I'm hoping that there are actually two. I know that there are two boxes but I think one may have a worn cassette in. I'll check later. I think that I have a spare chain too for that bike.

I need to buy some more cheap chains for my singlespeed bike - the chain on that bike is needing a lot of help from the chain tensioner so it must be pretty worn.

I do have spar bikes though
I have a lidl bike - my singlespeed! (Don't want to leave the best bike locked outside a supermarket.)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My Tiagra equipped commuter bike is currently bucking the trend for chain & cassette wear. I change chains at an indicated 0.75% wear which seems to consistently occur around 1500 miles. Normally two chains per cassette but was pleasantly surprised to find a 3rd chain ran ok other than very minor skipping which soon disappeared after approx 50+ miles. Now at 4500 miles and wondering if a 4th chain will work? I have the cassette and chains waiting to go on.

screenman

Legendary Member
I definitely have at least one cassette left for my best bike, but I'm hoping that there are actually two. I know that there are two boxes but I think one may have a worn cassette in. I'll check later. I think that I have a spare chain too for that bike.

I need to buy some more cheap chains for my singlespeed bike - the chain on that bike is needing a lot of help from the chain tensioner so it must be pretty worn.

I have a lidl bike - my singlespeed! (Don't want to leave the best bike locked outside a supermarket.)

Well spoted.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
My Tiagra equipped commuter bike is currently bucking the trend for chain & cassette wear. I change chains at an indicated 0.75% wear which seems to consistently occur around 1500 miles. Normally two chains per cassette but was pleasantly surprised to find a 3rd chain ran ok other than very minor skipping which soon disappeared after approx 50+ miles. Now at 4500 miles and wondering if a 4th chain will work? I have the cassette and chains waiting to go on.
Thing is 1500 is nothing. If you're using Zwift a lot it's easy to rack up high mileage without even realizing. Most are doing well over 100 miles a week.

D

Deleted member 1258

My Eastway is fitted with Tiagra, I usually get 3000 outdoor miles on a chain and 3 chains to a cassette, my fixed, which is my winter bike, gets around 2000 miles to a chain.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This thread has spurred me into action. Just checked the aforementioned chain and at 4462 mi the 0.75% gauge falls in easily and with a bit of wiggling and force the 1% side just about fits. Time for a change, which is right on cue. I was planning to change both chain and cassette just before setting out on the now postponed LEJOG trip on 18th May so I had a matched new set. Question is now do I try running a 4th chain or just stick to the plan and change the cassette too?

Top Bottom