You ever done this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Run the old chain and cassette on now, till it slips. Then new cassette and chain - but does depend how expensive your chainrings are. Having said that, who hasn't got spare chainrings ready to be fitted?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Chain on old recumbent with rohloff hub is 18,000 miles and going strong at the moment. Chain on new recumbent with triple and 9 speed cassette is 3,076 miles and going strong. I use a chain wear tool and check most weeks unless chain changed recently.

classic33

Leg End Member
Chain on old recumbent with rohloff hub is 18,000 miles and going strong at the moment. Chain on new recumbent with triple and 9 speed cassette is 3,076 miles and going strong. I use a chain wear tool and check most weeks unless chain changed recently.
What killed the cat question
How long is the chain on your recumbent?

Sharky

Guru
Having said that, who hasn't got spare chainrings ready to be fitted?

That makes me smile. I have some old TA rings somewhere in the garage, a long time taken off the bike and not compatible with any of my current cranks. But I still keep them, just in case.

Same applies to some old wheels, tyres and cassettes.
Am I a hoarder or is it natures way of telling me that I need start building up a vintage bike?

Just remembered as well, I have a "hairnet" skid lid in the garage, that I haven't used since 1969 - I must be a hoarder.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I keep my new chains and cassettes in the fridge to maintain them in top condition while in storage awaiting deployment.
I have apparently been keeping my old chains in a plastic bag near my fridge to maintain them in worn out condition while in storage awaiting recycling... (I thought they were new or reasonably new but it turns out that they are at least 1% longer than they should be!)

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It turns out I find it hard to throw an Ultegra cassette out. It's worn as you can see the chain indentations. I'm sticking with 105's from now on.
I need a new one for my winter wheels and a new one for my summer wheels as I stole one off for my turbo. So that's nearly £100 in sprockets :sad:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Replaced the new chain on my commuter today. Took off the 9spd chain I fitted a couple of days ago and fitted the correct 10spd chain this time. A short ride now shows it is running much smoother :laugh:
Still some minor skipping but will give it a couple of rides before changing the cassette.
Fitting the wrong chain is an easy mistake when you run a fleet containing 9, 10 & 11spd and stock spares for them all :whistle:
So in response to the thread title Q, fitting the wrong chain, never done this before....

Top Bottom