You get up and its raining ? do you ? ...

its raining in the morning do you?

• pull a sickie

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • get public transport

• get the car

• get on the bike anyway

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert b 2

Well for the last year I have been using a car (work is 32 miles away and even I'm not mad enough to cycle that far, especially with all the hills.) However, I'm changing jobs very soon and will be going back to cycling; I can't wait to get rid of the car and be dependent on my own power again. But it reminds me of my last job when I used to cycle about 5 miles each way to work...

In the morning, this involved leaving the house at 630am, and almost straight away from the start was a long, relentless hill up from Greengates in Bradford towards the city centre; that hill was probably 3 miles long or more. Man, that hill was long, especially on my £250 heavy mountain bike, complete with fat nobbly tyres, and cheap suspension fork. But it was all worth it once I reached the summit as there was then a roller coaster steep hill down into the geological bowl that is Bradford city centre.

But I used to do it come rain or shine. I just pulled my waterproof trousers and jacket over my work clothes, put the hood up and stuck my helmet on over that. I remember it was so cold some mornings that I arrived at the train station in Bradford with little iceicles formed all over my front, and some times I'd forget my gloves and my hands would be blue and smarting from the cold. But man, it was worth the feeling of pride and self reliance arriving at the station and knowing I'd got myself there, regardless of the ice cold wind, the rain and the awful up hill trek.

Funnily enough, I actually had a metro pass which meant I could use any bus and it was paid for; but I preferred to go through the pain and the cold to avoid travelling on one of those awful cattle wagons.
I absolutely hate the bus; usually full of scum and fumes, and I hate the whole stop-go stop-go motion. I'd sooner walk the whole way than get on one of those things. And it's a rip off!

My water proofs only failed me once as the heavy rain soaked through to my backside, but that was probably because I wasn't using any mud guards :laugh:

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bike again once I start my new job. That's why I've been on here asking about hybrids and tourers. I will have a longer commute this time, and I need something that doesn't weigh a tonne. I guess a decent hybrid will make life easier for me.

If it's raining, grit your teeth, get your water proofs on, and get on the bike! It's actually fun providing you can keep the water out. Lovely to have the cool rain against your face; wakes you up better than any coffee.

:smile:

Mr Pig

Bongman said:
I suppose it is a bit of a skewed poll

I work in a factory with about twenty folk. I am the only person to cycle to work. Two guys drive less than a mile! One of them has a Corsa he only uses for coming to work. He keeps a car on the road for driving to work less than a mile each day!

Forget cycling in the rain. The gulf in mentality between those who cycle and those who don't is so vast as to render any variation between fellow cyclists irrelevant.

Bman

Guru
Mr Pig said:
I work in a factory with about twenty folk. I am the only person to cycle to work. Two guys drive less than a mile! One of them has a Corsa he only uses for coming to work. He keeps a car on the road for driving to work less than a mile each day!

Forget cycling in the rain. The gulf in mentality between those who cycle and those who don't is so vast as to render any variation between fellow cyclists irrelevant.

Heh, one of my colleagues is a Corsa driver too.

His commute is just over 1 mile. Less than half a mile by bike. Ive tried to convince him that cycling is a good idea. My words are lost on him. :smile:

Im still trying to get a bet going that I could beat him on my bike :laugh:

Bongman said:

His commute is just over 1 mile. Less than half a mile by bike. Ive tried to convince him that cycling is a good idea. My words are lost on him. :smile:

Im still trying to get a bet going that I could beat him on my bike :laugh:
I helped carry out a travel study for a Business park in Dublin; it regularly took over 30 minutes just to get out of their car park and sometimes it could be longer (over an hour). So we were called in at first we carried out a travel survey. One of the respondents lived less than a mile away and despite it being flat drove but when asked why they didn't have a reason, they weren't giving somebody else a lift, didn't need a car for business etc.

Bongman said:

His commute is just over 1 mile. Less than half a mile by bike. Ive tried to convince him that cycling is a good idea. My words are lost on him. :angry:

Im still trying to get a bet going that I could beat him on my bike :biggrin:

Opposite of me really though,whereas im in no hurry to buy a car.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
One of the respondents lived less than a mile away and despite it being flat drove but when asked why they didn't have a reason

I think it's often peer pressure.

People think (if they think at all, which is quite rare) that because they have a car, they must use it. If they didn't, their mates would say "What's up with your car, Bob?" Or they think other people would look down on them for cycling or walking.

I can't believe how much some of my colleagues think about their image, and what image they think their car projects. "Oh, I could never drive one of those. People'd think I was ..." Desperate, having a mid-life crisis, poor, gay, a self-gratification artist, insert as appropriate.

J4CKO

Once I realised I was actually waterproof I started taking the bike, I like the rain, doesnt bother me in the slightest as I have showers either end, in fact its pretty cushy, its just as a nation we have got used to very very cushy and panic about doing anythign because it is raining, or may rain.

Some of my co workers wont walk to their car because its raining ffs.

I am however in my car today, borrowed a bike of a mate at work and keep trying to give it back to him but he has his MTB in the car and cant get his head round takign it out so he can take his nice road bike home !!! three times now I have dragged it in, cant ride it in as it now has his pedals back on, is clean and I wouldnt be able to get home.

Top Bottom