You grass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Like some have said test it in some damp kitchen roll. It mostly will be out just a bit pactchy. Gentle bit of forking over the area always a good idea. When you have sown the area if you have any a bit of horticultural fleece cover it over with a bit and peg it down. Will help keep it wet and that little bit warmer. Will help get it going that bit quicker.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Pennies add up to pounds, and pretty soon I'm spending real money. I'll try the old stuff first.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Like some have said test it in some damp kitchen roll. It mostly will be out just a bit pactchy. Gentle bit of forking over the area always a good idea. When you have sown the area if you have any a bit of horticultural fleece cover it over with a bit and peg it down. Will help keep it wet and that little bit warmer. Will help get it going that bit quicker.
as above..
I normally rake in some growmore before planting...
after forking, tramp, rake , tramp, rake..
apply Growmore, rake in and lightly water (rain will do)., rake again before you plant any seed, lightly rake in...

build a machine gun nest, shoot birds (optional)

12boy

Guru
Aerate the patch, put down the seed, cover with garden burlap or some hay and keep moist. Don't be too stingy with the seed. Pretty soon your cat will have a new spot to kill.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If the instructions say prick out every 6 inches ignore them, you could get in trouble.

People have got to notice first though

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Rule of thumb: Every year the seed will lose about 50% germination success rate. Accumulated calculation l

Make it into bread. Bakers’ thread is thataway >>>>>>
How does that seed bank in Norway (?) work then? They're planning to store for thousands of years. Does storing seed at lower than ambient temperature have such a massive effect on germination success?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
How does that seed bank in Norway (?) work then? They're planning to store for thousands of years. Does storing seed at lower than ambient temperature have such a massive effect on germination success?

We have some seed banks in the U.K. too. High tech freezers basically. Specific humidity and temperatures which aren’t replicated in our sheds. Mainly because of home brew, smart trainers and wide TV Screens.

You can buy grass seed for fine, medium or coarse grass depending on the wear and tear requirements. I ended up introducing horrible coarse grass in a seed mix.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
We had a chap building a wall for three weeks. Every day he ate his healthy granary roll sandwich sitting in the same place. Next summer a small patch of wheat grew up! I harvested the grains and have stored them for scattering when we move to Scotland. I don't think they'll grow up there.

Top Bottom