You Just Break The Law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adscrim

Veteran
I thought the RLJer seemed quite charming. Most road users who get criticised respond by losing their temper and unleashing a torrent of abuse.
I thought he seemed a little drunk.

There's one cyclist on my cummute that has commented a couple of time on my traffic light behaviour. I stop at red lights but I leave on amber. I also know that all the lights on my commute have a 9 second delay between the green man and the sequence change so I'm already clipped in and ready to go when the amber appears. I've pointed out that he couldn't complain of my 'red light jumping' if I hadn't stopped at the red lights but that doesn't stop him. Now I just give him a cheery good morning when we're at the lights together. For what it's worth, if there is no green man in the sequence (they only come on when the button is pressed on the majority of the route), I wait for green just in case so maniac is an amber gambler.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If you come within a metre of hitting the tarmac due to an RLJ cyclist, it tends to make an impression. Plenty of motorists might have put me in danger too. I rather hoped for better manners from cyclists, that's all.
If only there was some kind of special fraternity of cyclists. I bet the ones that nod to you wouldn't have RLJ'd across you...

My take on it, I shrug and let them, in fact, if I'm positioning in an ASL, I'll do it so that if someone wanted to RLJ while I was sat there I wasn't blocking them from doing it. I just choose not to. I don't think the car drivers give a crap if they've seen someone do it or not, I'm sure the ones stuck behind me when I pull away from a green would happily berate me for being slow to their passenger and then go on to have a go at RLJ's (except they can't, because they are almost definitely on their own in the car. Maybe they can tell whoever they are texting.) (There was a study on the Ridgeway a couple of decades ago about ramblers attitudes to motorbikes, an awful lot of the respondents were vehemently anti, quoting all the bad things they did, then got to the box that said 'have you ever seen a motorbike on the Ridgeway?' and ticked 'No'.)

I always stop at reds. There are a couple of sets of lights on my commute where I consider crossing on the red when the ped crossing light comes on (i.e. pulling away after having stopped rather than rolling through). I do that based on three factors, what traffic is around (I'll do it if it's busy and I can get a head start on something van sized or bigger, also I'll not do it in front of a police car), how busy the crossing is (if the ped light is green, but there are no peds on the crossing then I might do it, peds on the crossing or running for it and I won't), how I feel that day (most days I just can't be bothered, some days I'm in a bit of a rush so consider it). As mentioned, I only consider this at lights I know well, in both of these cases if I do decide to RLJ it gains me up to half a click on the traffic that doesn't, which is a decent way in to climbing the hill, or means I'm beyond some of the squeezes close to the lights.

It's a very specific choice on my part so I can intellectualise that it sets me apart from people who roll through any red they come up to but I'm under no illusion that it's illegal (therefore I will add that I could also be lying about all of this just to make myself seem big and clever amongst the pro RLJ hipsters on line whose never ending adoration I crave so much.).

Personally, I'd be very happy with the American system of turn on red where you treat a red where you are turning on the 'nearside corner' as a Give Way sign rather than a traffic light so can proceed if safe to do so. That's turning right at lights for Americans and would be left for us, equally turning reds in to give ways late at night. The whole black and white nature of red lights seems a bit much to me.

blazed

220lb+
I think when you look in the mirror you see this.

3660230-3568764363-i-am-.jpg

Everyone else sees a weirdo with a camera on his head.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My intention was to illicit an honest answer but I find it difficult to hide my disdain.
* elicit :laugh: Using illicit and honest in the same sentence is just wrong, somehow.

Just kidding, by the way, and I agree with your dislike of red light runners. But I also agree with what @Dan B said.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
(For the avoidance of doubt, none of this is justification for breaking the laws. But if your primary reason for not breaking them is in the hope that car drivers will like us all more, forget it ...)
I totally disagree,

Whilst I don't seek to be liked, I do demand...and seem to get, respect, when riding. It put ALL of that down to my attitude and approach, part of which is doing everything I can to show other road users that an am not interested in breaking the law to gain advantage.

I don't claim that this helps all other riders... but it does help me and those as know who excersise the same values.

Apologies DanB, multi quoting you like this looks like I am having a pop, I'm not, you just raised two individual points of interest to me.

Dan87

Formerly fixieplugrider
doesnt bother me but in the long run it gives cyclists a bad name and motorists will just be p'd off you're jumping reds.

Top Bottom