You Just Break The Law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If all cyclists rode according to the letter ot the law at all times, cyclist-hating drivers would still give us crap for entirely legal behaviour such as riding two abreast, not using cycle paths, cycling on (shared use) pavements, not paying road tax, riding too slowly, riding too fast, riding in primary, filtering, not filtering, wearing lycra, not wearing lycra, and being smug.

Put another way, if law breaking cyclists give us all a bad name, how come law breaking drivers don't give all drivers a bad name?

(For the avoidance of doubt, none of this is justification for breaking the laws. But if your primary reason for not breaking them is in the hope that car drivers will like us all more, forget it ...)

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
But if your primary reason for not breaking them is in the hope that car drivers will like us all more, forget it ...)
I think my reason for not breaking them is mostly from wanting to be treated as a vehicle. Afforded that same respect and space. A small part maybe some vague notion I have of a social contract.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Had a similar predicament the other day, an older gent ran a red light. I called out to which I got a funny look, had I not been in a rush to get home to see my fiance then I would have chased him down and had words.

Like others have said I think it perpetuates the notion that all cyclists are inconsiderate tools.
At least you didn't tell him that traffic lights, one way systems and gyratories, bollards on pavements and road tax were invented for his safety.

U

User6179

I think my reason for not breaking them is mostly from wanting to be treated as a vehicle. Afforded that same respect and space. A small part maybe some vague notion I have of a social contract.

I think you would get a better response if you dropped the condescending attitude though , just an observation .

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
To be honest where I commute I rarely see cyclists jump lights, it's normally the motorist carrying out the evil sin ! If a cyclists does jump them I just brand them as future road kill and get on with my ride, As already said, the motorist will no doubt see the one cyclist and miss the five motorists jumping lights and tarnish all cyclists as evil !

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Crap rant, SM!

Sorry TC. I'm all ranted-out what with that bloody 400ppm thread...:cry:

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
I could of put it better but your not going to convert someone with the way you spoke , your only going to antagonise them which some might say was your intention .

My intention was to illicit an honest answer but I find it difficult to hide my disdain.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
See comment #10
Don't see what that has to do with it - sorry. Presumably you catch up with cars as well as bikes. All I see is a performance of good behaviour designed to ingratiate yourself with motorists and the harumphing tendency amongst commuting cyclists.

Top Bottom