You naughty, naughty driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I made a driver laugh last week. Friday, heading up Porchester Road in Southampton and a car illegally enters through the restriction:

My view (and the driver behind that laughed)

Naughty driver's view (as they entered - note the signs)

As I rode towards Mr Naughty I pointed right at them and then wagged my finger at them. Then I heard the laughter behind me. :biggrin:

Then today, less funny. I pull up to the same junction and see a little red Pershot (peice of s***) indicating right. Thinking it was just pulling away from parked I ignored it until it turned into Porchester. Noting the open window I shouted (politely) to the woman driving and said "You cant enter here, thats restricted entry matey!"

The woman became all flustered and gave a garbled reply that I didnt hear, and then drove off down the length of the road.

stowie

Legendary Member
I don't like those signs. Apparently the standard no-entry sign doesn't allow exceptions, so these no-vehicle signs seem to be used instead (although Haringey just uses no-entry signs and a blue cycle sign below). The no-vehicle signs aren't as clear as no-entry, and combined with a dashed entry line, I can see how confusion can arise.

The cycle sign needs to be backed up with something like "cycles only" painted underneath at least.

Having said that, I live in a one-way street, and see enough cars going the wrong way to realise that, for some, no amount of signs would be enough.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's not a well understood sign ... a no entry with a except cycles would be better understood and with a bollard to help the denser motorists, such as http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...d=EDMo02BK5uo119iMuMYXxw&cbp=12,295.52,,0,6.4 There are a couple of roads in Bristol where motorists like to ignore them and this one ... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...id=vpAuVWkcsxvK1uC8vD9w0g&cbp=12,23.14,,0,1.5 same location from another angle has cropped up regularly on Bristol Traffic for that very reason.... though I gather that was why they put in the bollards.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't like those signs. Apparently the standard no-entry sign doesn't allow exceptions, so these no-vehicle signs seem to be used instead (although Haringey just uses no-entry signs and a blue cycle sign below). The no-vehicle signs aren't as clear as no-entry, and combined with a dashed entry line, I can see how confusion can arise.

The cycle sign needs to be backed up with something like "cycles only" painted underneath at least.

Having said that, I live in a one-way street, and see enough cars going the wrong way to realise that, for some, no amount of signs would be enough.

Bristol uses the no-entry except cycles in lots of places ... I can think of 3 or 4 straight off the top of my head ...

[whisper](and its No MOTOR vehicles).[/whisper]

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've never thought about it ... presumably emergency vehicles can ignore no-entry signs and drive the wrong way down a road if the situation warrants it?

I've never thought about it ... presumably emergency vehicles can ignore no-entry signs and drive the wrong way down a road if the situation warrants it?

On that particular road, if I needed urgent medical attention and lived at no. 151, I would much rather the ambulance took the short cut (with due care of course)

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I wonder if access is significantly awkward or long-winder for emergency vehicles, hence the no bollard?

Not really, theres a parallel road (Portsmouth Road) right next to it, 2 seconds detour.

I think the council had to avoid the bollard route as there is quite a bend to get around when entering.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the council had to avoid the bollard route as there is quite a bend to get around when entering.

I don't think that's stopped BCC .... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...5a3djiwbhAn3VVF4CrHhaw&cbp=12,276.57,,0,26.98
if you are turning right into that road it really is quite difficult ... luckily its not a turn that is made that frequently.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

stowie

Legendary Member
Bristol uses the no-entry except cycles in lots of places ... I can think of 3 or 4 straight off the top of my head ...

[whisper](and its No MOTOR vehicles).[/whisper]

I have read that the DoT doesn't allow a "except cycle" sign with a no-entry sign at the moment, although they are trialling them in some places.

Why you would need to trial such an obvious sign is somewhat beyond me, especially when the alternatives are less clear.

As mentioned, it seems some councils are trying other signs, whilst Haringey for instance seems to have no-entry with the cyclist sign underneath anyway.

And sorry - it is of course motor vehicles.

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't like those signs.

Cue my favourite Dutch language word "uitgezonderd" with pic of bicycle underneath a standard road sign.
uit4.jpg uit.jpg uit3.jpg

The motor vehicle driver sees, and usually obeys, the standard size road sign, the cyclist sees the smaller wording and cycle picture and ignores the larger sign. It works in The Netherlands but with just a few exceptions does not seem to meet with general approval of the authorities here.

Peter10

Yup, emergency services are not bound by road signs when responding to an emergency call. It's the same reason they can speed, drive on the wrong side of the road etc. They can park anywhere they need to if it means they can respond to an incident, i.e when you see a police car parked askew on the road or an ambulance in the middle of a street.

Obviously, they have to do so with caution and with good reason.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have read that the DoT doesn't allow a "except cycle" sign with a no-entry sign at the moment, although they are trialling them in some places.

Why you would need to trial such an obvious sign is somewhat beyond me, especially when the alternatives are less clear.

As mentioned, it seems some councils are trying other signs, whilst Haringey for instance seems to have no-entry with the cyclist sign underneath anyway.

And sorry - it is of course motor vehicles.

Well I've looked at the maps and thought about it and there are loads of these signs here so perhaps we are one of the trial areas? I would say they work ... they are only ignored by those who want to ignore them rather than because they didn't realise. And the council seem to be using a physical kerb and bollard to make it clearer as well. In any normal day I can go through 2 or 3 of these sometimes more. I didn't realise that it wasn't standard across the country.

I wonder which works better the wording except cycles or cycle pic sign? There are a few of them where its except cycles/buses.

Top Bottom