You perfect bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No bike is good at all things and in all weathers, so I don't think a perfect bike exists. The bike I like riding most is a fag-paper clearance, short-wheelbase track bike, but it would be horrible in the rain, with a strong headwind, or with relentless hills, and not terribly useful for shopping. You can do a lot with a big messenger bag, but not 6 pints of milk and a box of washing powder.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
A good touring bike does all those things. Or at least all the things I need it to do.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I totally get the idea. I wanted:

Steel touring frame with lots of eyelets.
Triple bottle cage braze ons, because I'm ridiculously thirsty.
Heavy duty rack included.
Comfortable geometry.
Triple drivetrain, preferably Shimano.
Marathon mondial tyres.
Nice colour.

I got transfixed on the Genesis Tour de Fer in copper orange and I bought one not long after. All I had to do was add my worn in Brooks and double tape the bars with Cinelli cork, oh and put a bar bag mount on. I've had it two years and I'm pretty sure I've found my bike for life, and I'm not quite 50 yet. I'm not decided whether that's pleasing or depressing. It won't be my last bike, it's just that I've found the one I'll never get rid of.

IMG_14102021_201342_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have mine (almost). The only thing missing is disc brakes, but even that is debatable.
Pictured here without it's front and rear racks. I love the colour and it is a very comfortable ride.

1647206690597.jpeg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I got mine from Richard Hallett. In fact I got two: a 650B tourer and a fast road bike. Both are superbly handling machines.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Having had a superb frame made by Woodrup half a century ago they would be my choice. Campag cable gearset with a Stronglight square taper chainset, handbuilt wheels with a cable disc brake on the front but a rim brake at the back for easer wheel changes (Punctures are rare on the front end). Audax type clearances would do for me with enough room for mudguards and a 25/28mm tyre combo, plus a lightweight rear rack.

And Shimano platform clipless pedals, subject to being able to get SPD shoes that did not look like I nicked them from a building site.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For long distance and touring my recumbent is my perfect bike. For utility trips round local shops or one I can just hop on any train with, it is my Brompton. For messing around on a mix of roads and smoothish off road it’s my road bike with its 35mm tyres. If I was to get back into proper off road it’d be a mountain bike.

I’d quite like a velo mobile or stream liner to mess around in, at speed, but not really practical for my day to day use.

My perfect bike has changed over the years and will no doubt change in the future.

Top Bottom