You perfect bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Currently considering a hand built frame, rest of my life kind of bike. I would want steel frame, fixed mudguards, heavy duty racks, trailer hitch, Rolhoff, laced touring rims, Marathon plusses, Bausch and thingy dynamo hub, butterfly bars in Matt black with purple bar tape, my trusty Brooks, and the frame monogrammed 'Old Hippy' in small stylised font at the top of the down tube just because. What would you get?

Slick

Guru
I actually thought that you were describing the below at 1 point.

https://www.koga.com/en/bikes/trekking/worldtraveller?frame=H

All uphill

Still rolling along
Currently considering a hand built frame, rest of my life kind of bike. I would want steel frame, fixed mudguards, heavy duty racks, trailer hitch, Rolhoff, laced touring rims, Marathon plusses, Bausch and thingy dynamo hub, butterfly bars in Matt black with purple bar tape, my trusty Brooks, and the frame monogrammed 'Old Hippy' in small stylised font at the top of the down tube just because. What would you get?
Sounds great!

I'd go for a custom orange paint job on a Spa Elan frame, build my own wheels, Brooks, silver oily bits and mudguards.
I can see it now.

It might happen next winter.:okay:

Fredo76

Über Member
I want a lightweight step-through that looks like a road bike. I saw a vintage Falcon Special that looked the part in a thread recently - just exactly like a racing bike, but with a step-through frame. All the step-throughs now are comfort/hybrids, it seems.

I think I'd go with a custom titanium frame, probably from Taiwan, because I'm retired on a fixed income now. I want an old-fashioned headset and square-taper bottom bracket, but with brifters and disk brakes. No fenders - not here, no luggage, just an 18 lb. road bike that I can mount without laying it down on the ground and stepping over it (I have hip replacements, and a fear of dislocating them, after four dislocations and a re-do.)

No software, though. That's a bridge too far. ;)

Mrs M

Guru
My three combine to make perfection 🥰

Attachments

• 25C62EAA-6185-4DEA-A908-47D7C8BB5D9B.jpeg
    25C62EAA-6185-4DEA-A908-47D7C8BB5D9B.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 0F724D60-F6F3-49CE-9DDA-698523B47D4B.jpeg
    0F724D60-F6F3-49CE-9DDA-698523B47D4B.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 982C3C19-D2D5-4592-8A62-567CFC93B6DA.jpeg
    982C3C19-D2D5-4592-8A62-567CFC93B6DA.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 17

Slick

Guru
not sure how far you read slick - it's ally.

I see that the spec says "integrated cable routeing".

Can't help wondering if that's newspeak for internal cabling.
I think that's exactly what it is but I reckon it would tick all the boxes for me and does sit in the category of rest of life kind of bike.

Its only a thought at the moment but it has kept me warm this winter. :okay:

Good evening,

I would put off the decision for a year or two:smile::smile::smile:.

I have just started an 18 mile each way commute where there are no showers (with public access) or local gym near the office so the speed of the commute in is constrained by not getting too sweaty. This has led me to contemplate something with a Fazua evation type drive system.

I like the idea of a power top-up system that can be mostly removed when not needed, but until I get to try one for a while I am not sure if I will still like the idea in a couple of years time when reality has taken over. https://fazua.com/en/support/help-center/toolbox-software/maximum-vs-minimal-assist/

The idea of "breeze" mode, which is 100 watts seems great for a bit of help up the hills, which would still need real effort and retaining a 15.5mph average on inclines that are not real hills.

I haven't looked very hard, but as far as I can see frames designed to take small crankset motors and internal batteries but sold without them are not really being offered. Yet the market may soon be getting to the point of some informal standards for this type of set-up.

In my mind low powered ebikes may turn out to be things scoffed at by many in public and existing in the scoffer's garage and frequently used.

Unlike Di2 which I love but fully appreciate is not needed, some extra power than can used when needed seems to be a real step forward for all but the purist.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom