You Said Thanks & Smiled (Gifts) Then Scratched Your Head

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As a mid-fifties bloke who's only just decided to cycle, it seems everyone thought they knew what to buy me for Xmas. So cycling was the theme this year and I don't want to upset anyone but wondering how I can get away with not using some of this stuff. Anyone else have gifts that they wished they hadn't got?

1) My wife took great pleasure in presenting me with a framed map, which was personalised with my name and a bike and is the route I first took when I got my bike a few weeks ago. Its even called the Betley loop. You have to say it was a nice thought and well researched and have to say that is a nice gift.

2) A Helley Hanson jacket which she thought would be great for cycling. No chance it will be like wearing a sail.

3) A nice hip flask for my pack. Wrong as I'm trying to keep weight down and don't intend doing anything longer than 20-miles for now, so don't need to go on the lash yet,

4) A Rapha cap in red and a Rapha cap in green. Fantastic quality kit and will keep my ears warm too. Great gifts.

5) Some Rapha trousers with a double thickness backside in different colour. Fantastic quality trousers and something even a mid-fifties guy could wear instead of tights. The trousers can be turned up and have florescent piping and RAPHA logo than van be seen in gloom

6) A Rapha crossover jacket which is fantastic quality again and something I can wear on my bike instead of my Endura waterproof top (When its not raining) Lightweight but feels and looks really warm.

Some good, bad and ugly in that list, but some thought went into it all and I'm pleased with plenty of it and will try and use it all.

Merry Xmas to all, I'm about to mount up and attempt to complete my first 20-mile ride but if I only get 13 done I'll still be happy

So despite the thread title, you like them all, apart from the HH jacket and the hip flask (both of which are good, but maybe not for cycling).
You better hope she doesn't read your post, or the next gift could be a set of brake pads which self destruct on steep downhills with busy junctions at the bottom :B).

Last edited:

Berties

Fast and careful!
I thought getting odd presents was all part of getting older,I have had to many ,"thanks that's great" but really wanted to say " what da he'll am I going to do with that",
To be honest I have started to train my eldest son to openly appreciate poorly chosen presents,instead of looking at his brother ,do you want this!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very little bike stuff here. Only DVDs box set of the Tour history. No bike clothing, although did get a tool kit from friends which was naice but I have a tool box full of Park, Campag and Shimano tools.
I have just treated my bikes to a nice little dehumidifier for the garage though.

Top Bottom