"You want a bloody medal?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I also notice - now that it's dark in the evening - that I am able to wave thanks to drivers/other road users and still be seen. Unfortunately I can't tell if I am getting friendly waves back. It's quite hard to see into a car at night.

Yes - especially irritating when they appear to be waiting for you to turn (across them) either right into or right out of a road and you can't actually see into the car and see if they are waving you on or not.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've done commutes where I stop at zebras (with folk waiting at them) more often than my motorised counterparts do.

The codgers reply made me laugh, tbh.

biking_fox

Guru
Had something similar the other day:

At a pelican crossing which also has a lolipop lady (why? do cars not stop at red lights either?). The lights changed to amber and the cyclist I hadn't quite caught up with went through - very legitimately, no chance of stopping in the time/space he had. I was far enough back slowed and stopped. One of the crossers then shared a joke with the lolipop lady about adding another redlight cyclist to her collection !!!

There was me in bright stuff patiently waiting at the reds, and the other cyclist shouldn't/couldn't have stopped as the lights had only just changed to amber.

It really is a sampling issue, because I'm sure neither of them noticed that I was stopped at red, they only notice the one they thought hadn't.

jimboalee

When was the last time a policeman stopped you and told you that your cycling was 'most proficient'?

1000 miles of law abiding cycling WON'T counteract 1 traffic offence.

Unfortunately, there are no rewards for being good, only penalties for being bad.

When was the last time a policeman stopped you and told you that your cycling was 'most proficient'?
As it happens, yes. A few years ago.

There I was coming up to some T/Ls (ped. crossing) just changing to amber. I stop. Good old Mr Plod (no! I can't call him that, they all look so young nowadays - call him 'dear little Master Plod'...) draws up alongside, also on bike. Him: "I'm so glad you stopped there." Me: "Err.... the Highway Code says...." Him: "It makes my job so much easier - if only all the others..."

(*sigh*)

taxing

Last week as I was coming up to a zebra crossing with a lollipop man at it, a woman started to cross so I stopped, then the lollipop man went out and did his thing. When he came back to the side of the road he apologised, and said that if he'd seen me he'd have hung on. Nice thought, but I have to stop for the woman crossing anyway, so I'm not sure how the presence of the lollipop man made any difference.

I stopped at a pedestrian crossing red light on the way home today. Chap crossed, and as he passed in front of me, said "Cheers!".

I was a bit bemused. I don't thank people for doing stuff they ought to by law anyway....

Still, I suppose it's nice to be acknowledged.

I had a strong tail wind the otherday but traffic was clear and when the pelican went red I stopped, when I did the ped was all apologetic. Whilst I appreciated it, it wasn't like he had twisted my arm and forced me to stop :wacko:

It's strange how often a pedestrian, on the bridle path, seeing me coming (at a slow pace), steps aside to let me pass, and mutters a furtive "sorry" as I pass. What are they apologising for? Do they imagine they are obstructing me? Well yes I suppose they are, but the pedestrian has a perfect right to be on the BP too! Indeed, the law says, where there is a conflict, the cyclist must be the one to give way to a pedestrian or horse rider.

I'm tempted to say "no need to apologise". But I usually just mutter "thanks".

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's strange how often a pedestrian, on the bridle path, seeing me coming (at a slow pace), steps aside to let me pass, and mutters a furtive "sorry" as I pass. What are they apologising for? Do they imagine they are obstructing me? Well yes I suppose they are, but the pedestrian has a perfect right to be on the BP too! Indeed, the law says, where there is a conflict, the cyclist must be the one to give way to a pedestrian or horse rider.

I'm tempted to say "no need to apologise". But I usually just mutter "thanks".

Something that irritates me disproportionately is when I'm on a shared path, and a pair or group of peds either realise I'm coming, or react to my bell by moving right off the path onto the grass, standing still, and huddling together. All I need is a predictable clear space of a couple of feet to get by. All they have to do is bunch up a bit, and walk straight. The fact that they cower to one side makes me feel bad for interrupting their progress. I thank them, but a tiny inner voice is ranting at them for overdoing it.

al78

Guru
[QUOTE 1242583"]
He looked at me in surprise. Finally clocking me. Then said:

"What do you want then for stopping? Give yourself a bloody medal!"

[/quote]

I'd have been tempted to respond "Some acknowledgment that you were talking bollocks would be a good start."

Top Bottom