"You want a bloody medal?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I stopped at a pedestrian crossing red light on the way home today. Chap crossed, and as he passed in front of me, said "Cheers!".

I was a bit bemused. I don't thank people for doing stuff they ought to by law anyway....

Still, I suppose it's nice to be acknowledged.

[QUOTE 1242583"]
Looked like a WW2 soldier type, if you know what I mean.
[/quote]
Which side? :whistle:
Maybe he wanted to offload his Iron Cross....

gbb

Legendary Member
Your man sounds like my father in law Crock...opinionated, never wrong and never afraid to tell someone so (gawld, i hope he doesnt read this :biggrin: )
You can't change em..just be happy you're not one of them.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I can't believe you where waiting at traffic lights at 8am on CS7 without another cyclist near by. LIES I TELL YOU!

Tynan

Veteran
a lot of peds using zebra crossing look at me approaching like they expect me to fire rockets at them and almost shocked when I stop for them

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Never be the exception that proves the rule or confounds the stereotype.

On hearing his moan you should have rlj'ed. ;)

JamesAC

On the rare occasions when cyclists actually stop for me (in my pedestrian moments) at a green man crossing, I always thank them.
It doesn't happen often, sadly.

Peter10

I stopped at a pedestrian crossing red light on the way home today. Chap crossed, and as he passed in front of me, said "Cheers!".

I was a bit bemused. I don't thank people for doing stuff they ought to by law anyway....

Still, I suppose it's nice to be acknowledged.

I know what you mean.

Sometimes people say thanks when they cross at pedestrian crossings. There is one outside my office door, which stops all traffic just to allow 1 person to cross. I generally say thank you when I cross, although they have to stop, it's nice for the driver to know that it was appreciated.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I find pedestrians often thank me for stopping, and sometimes even suggest I should have carried on. I think its one of those nice interactions that you get on the bike that you don't get in the car when you seem more isolated from the world.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I find pedestrians often thank me for stopping, and sometimes even suggest I should have carried on. I think its one of those nice interactions that you get on the bike that you don't get in the car when you seem more isolated from the world.

I also notice - now that it's dark in the evening - that I am able to wave thanks to drivers/other road users and still be seen. Unfortunately I can't tell if I am getting friendly waves back. It's quite hard to see into a car at night.

longers

Legendary Member
I don't thank people for doing stuff they ought to by law anyway....

I often give folk who don't pull out on me at roundabouts a little tiny wave to say thanks and know it's wrong but don't care, I'm happy to say ta for following the rules.

I think Wheely is spot on here though:

I take it that means

"Oh, I do beg your pardon, it was quite wrong of me to wildly generalize like that."

in old-codger-speak.

yello

I'm inclined to agree with Arch here, you shouldn't expect reward for doing what's required, and I think that was the thrust of the old man's comment too.

But equally I appreciate the motivation behind CoG's comment; that is, to point out that not all cyclists rlj.

Cross purposes methinks.

It would have been nice if the one or other of them had acknowledged CoG with an unprompted 'present company excepted' kind of remark, rather than just ignore him, but I'm inclined to take that as an indicator of just how entrenched the anti-cyclist position has become in London/the UK. Sad really.

Top Bottom