Your average Daily mileage on Tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I know there are a lot of variables to this and the answer will be different for everyone. But what is your average Daily mileage on Tour with a fully loaded touring bike, complete with tent etc?

I did 130km on Friday and it was hot and sunny. I came to the conclusion that 80-100km would make a good touring day for me.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Heavens that wouldn't give me much time to smell the roses and take in the view.

Average for me would be like @User14044 35-50 miles. Touring for me is about seeing somewhere new not just passing through so i tend to do longer tours.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Heavens that wouldn't give me much time to smell the roses and take in the view.

Average for me would be like @User14044 35-50 miles. Touring for me is about seeing somewhere new not just passing through so i tend to do longer tours.
This is a very good point and one that I consider when planning. For me, I actually feel like I get to see more if I ride further with extra towns, countries and sights to experience.

I think it also depends upon the speed that you like to ride at. If I was riding unsupported, with panniers and full luggage, I am sure I would aim for around 50 miles a day.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
It is difficult because not everyone has the luxury of taking their time so time and distance like anything else is very personal. A tour for me is about experiencing where i am travelling through. One day may be a route of not a lot visually so i would probably cover more miles but other days there may be so many things to see enroute that i may cover a lot less miles. @raleighnut is spot on for my type of touring " go with the flow" and if the flow of beer is just a dribble, move on fast:biggrin:

Terrain, points of Interest, lack of points of interest - all influence the daily run - however, my average daily run is only influenced by how many days I have and how far it is - I have averaged between 65km/day and 125km/day on the 24 tours I've done over 1000 km's - overall 85km/day for 56k km including rest days

Last edited:

robing

Über Member
Normally about 40 to 50 miles, 60 at most. The current tour I'm doing is a lot more relaxed. The rest days are about equal to the cycling days! And I'm probably only averaging about 30 to 40 miles.

doog

As you say so many variables..

The main one for me is how I physically feel loosely followed by the number of camp sites within my locality at 4/5 pm and the weather....as has been said some people 'cycle to tour' and others 'tour to cycle '...Im in the latter so if I feel good and the weather's good I will just keep going.

Long days 80/90 miles plus ..short days 50 plus...one usually follows the other.

I've done more and I've done less, but anywhere between 80-120 km a day would be an average/ideal distance for me, fully loaded.

Of course, if I was passing somewhere of outstanding beauty/interest/ or where friends/relatives lived, or if I was sick/knackered/ill then I'd stay for a few days.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't camp. Nope. Not ever. B&B's or pubs or hotels for me. So no tent and no cooking gear. "Credit Card" touring if you will.

100km in a day is the maximum I'll plan on a tour and I'll only put a maximum of three 100km days back-to-back.

tyred

Legendary Member
50 or 60 miles is plenty for me. I do hostels rather than camping.

I had one 78 mile day on my recent tour and with a hilly, windy coastal route, a heavily laden bike with gearing that really needs to be lowered combined with unusually warm weather meant it became more of a test of endurance towards the end than enjoyment.

Top Bottom