Your average Daily mileage on Tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
You have to factor in hills in Belgium, ba****d hills too. Therefore the route around them is normally longer:whistle:

Hill Wimp

Brewery to brewery by any chance?
Best tour of all.

I would like to do a small tour of train to Ghent and enjoy for a few days once again the gorgeous little city, it's fine food and ale, and visit the Gruut Brewery then cycle to Brugges and again sample all it's delights and the thousands of ales that @hopless500 and i discovered, but didn't try, there last summer. Then train back.

Brains

Legendary Member
Fully Loaded and assuming nothing much worth stopping for hours to look at

First day 25-35 miles
Second day 30-40 miles
Day 3 upto 50 miles
By day 4 I find between 35-45 miles a day if perfectly doable
60 miles a day or more can turn into a bit of a slog,
I don't think I've ever exceeded much over 70 miles in a day (fully loaded)

Ultimately rather than measure miles you want to measure moving time and energy output, for me four hours a day is getting close to enough.
(My PB, lightly loaded is 120+ miles with about 10 hours moving time)

Hill Wimp

Doing it be train could be a bit of a pain. To get from Calais or Dunkirk to Ghent you end up having to go via Little and Kortrijk.

Probably easiest to cycle from Calais Port up to De Panne (about 64k) and then get the train from De Panne to Ghent (which takes about an hour and a quarter, and is £10).
I was thinking more Eurostar to Brussels and then Ghent and get the train from Bruges to Brussels and pick up the Eurostar on the return. Cycling from Brussels to Calais is not too bad. Went to Dunkirk last year and there were parts between De Panne and Dunkirk that were a real pig.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My last tour was on a Brompton, and I did about 50 - 60 k a day. I could have gone further, and did some days, but I'd booked the hotels beforehand. And it was supposed to be a holiday, not a route march.
The Ventoux day was fun!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I've only done two tours, one solo unsupported and the other supported, but never with tents and the kitchen sink, as I like getting in plenty of miles - so 95 miles a day for Paris to Rome (1050 miles, group, supported) and 105 for home to the Alps (730 miles, solo, unsupported).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think that is a good idea, booking your accomodation. It stops you ploughing on all day.
Indeed. I was going round the Luberon in Provence, so you don't necessarily have hotels just where you want them. Plus, it was November and I'd hate to find the only hotel in town was shut until Easter!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Indeed. I was going round the Luberon in Provence, so you don't necessarily have hotels just where you want them. Plus, it was November and I'd hate to find the only hotel in town was shut until Easter!
Hmm, depends. I was glad not to have booked on home to Alps, as one day I was gnackered, and just fancied stopping early. Conversely on the last day I had a tailwind, and though at the start of the day I thought I was going to take two days to reach the destination, 141 miles and 12,000ft of climbing later I was there. I enjoyed the flexibility (though planned the route to go through medium-sized towns, to improve my chances of having a choice of accommodation). Though, if not solo, I'd want to book ahead, for sure.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mine was solo, and for timetable-related reasons, I had to be in Apt on a certain night. As it turned out, I'd have been fine winging it, but it's nice knowing that there's one less potential foul-up to deal with.
Anyway, we have wandered far off topic. My other recent tour involved two 50 mile days, back to back, on a fixed. Why do I do this to myself? Day one started after work on a Friday, and I was back home for a lateish lunch on Saturday. Thankfully St Ives (my overnight stop) provided some fine malt-and-hop based recovery drinks :cheers: And an astoundingly bad pub band, which I enjoyed hugely :hyper:

Wolf616

Über Member
The first (and only, so far) tour I ever did was between 30 and 45 miles a day, over 6 days. This was through the Brecon Beacons, Herefordshire & Shropshire though and considering I lived in the eminently flat East London at that point that was more than enough with some of the ridiculous hills I had to spin over.

Planning to go to the Cairngorms/North-Eastish Scotland in September, but I think I'm much fitter than I was so might do between 40 and 50 each day. As others have said, for me it's about pootling along at a comfortable pace and enjoying the sights, eating far too much (and then being incredibly hungry mere hours later) and collapsing exhausted yet satisfied into bed each night.

As I did my first - and will do my subsequent - tour alone it's quite good to have a mileage flexibility and no-one else's concerns to worry about.

StuartG

slower but further
I tend to average 100 km a day in France. That's about 6 hours riding with stops for mapreading/photos etc. Then a 2 hour lunch. It just can't be done shorter. Then there is the mid morning and mid-afternoon stop at a cafe/bar/.. to drink and chat - say an hour each. That's a 10 hour day from room to room, say 9am to 7pm. Just leaves time for laundry and a nice evening out.

Now if there were more hours in the day ...

Top Bottom