Your best ride of 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Round most of the Cowal peninsula and the Isle of Bute in Autumn - lots of single-track roads and rusty leaves, mist on the water in the morning and sunshine in the daytime.

For a shorter ride it was probably doing out of the saddle hill repeats up the steep climb towards Mugdock village, I can only dream of that kind of energy at the moment!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
At the start of the first lockdown I rode from Newton Ferrers to Dartmouth. The route there was through the Aune valley and Morleigh, and back via the coast, Blackpool, Slapton and Kingsbridge. About 70 miles, and hardly a car about.

The Warren ride. Naughty but nice!

All uphill

Still rolling along
My most enjoyable ride was in November. I left home earlier than needed to meet a friend and took the long way there stopping to enjoy views and a cup of coffee in Curry Mallett. Meeting the friend in Langport was great, and was followed by rriding flat out homeward through light showers.

No spectacular climbs or views, just one of those days when everything feels right and goes smoothly.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Well, my only long distance ride was in February (Sunrise Audax), which was quite pleasant despite it having been extremely wet the night before. So I got sunshine and reasonable warmth, and a free bath too:
IMG_20200229_120105904[1].jpg

My first and last century ride of the year.

Although arguably my favourite was this one:
IMG_20200812_123817776[1].jpg

42.6 miles with this little lad, including up and over the Lincolnshire wolds. I can't say he enjoyed the hills, but we had the last 2 miles home pretty much all downhill. Which was nice, and the company was good too.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I had a couple of nice train / ride combinations in a year that was overall low on total bigly miles. Probably the best was when I took the train up to Huntingdon and rode the 40 miles home, mostly on NCN 12 on a hot, hot day through Grafham Water, St Neots, Great Barford and some nice countryside. I was hanging at the end of it, and I'd got through 5 big bottles of water.

20200730_095118.jpg

20200730_114943.jpg

20200730_103841.jpg

20200730_183036.jpg

20200730_152334.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've had very few 'best' rides, mainly due to restrictions locally up to June and then from July leaving me to have limited rides apart from just short ones.

So my 'best' was probably a track racing win at Newcastle-under-Lyme when I found myself with a gap after the first sprint in the Points race so attacked, winning the next three sprints and by half a lap. OK, so it was the veterans group C but it's still a win.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
This year has been so odd that I'd struggle to pick out a best ride. Usually I'd probably choose one of my century rides but none of them has particularly stood out this time. There were plenty of memorable rides during the year though so here are a few snapshots:

Shrewsbury had some bad flooding early in the year and I did a tour round the town to document it.

On a Lake District holiday in February with Doug and @gavgav we hired bikes and had an "interesting" ride, starting off in sunshine, climbing up past the snow line in Grizedale then getting drenched with rain later in the trip. Never again on bike without mudguards!:cold:

During the Lakes holiday Covid 19 had been something on the news that was happening to other people in faraway places. By the time I did my March century ride to Lake Vyrnwy it had reached the UK but we weren't to worry as long as we washed our hands.:rolleyes: A matter of days after this ride the country was in lockdown.

Fortunately we had some fabulous weather during the lockdown so even though I chose to cut down the length of my rides I could still ride almost every day. What was better was when the restrictions eased and I got some nice rides in the company of my brother.

It was nice when I started to feel able to do some rides further afield again. I'd deliberately stayed away from some of my favourite places as they were attracting too many daytrippers.

As restrictions eased further @gavgav and I even braved a pub stop on a trip to the Stiperstones and the Long Mynd.

Edit to add: I forgot to include this one:

An evening ride that was quite memorable for good and bad reasons. The good was that it was a lovely warm evening with a low lying mist forming to give an atmospheric look as seen here and a nice sunset as the ride went along. The bad was that as I rode into the darkness on my way home I killed a rabbit which ran headlong into the road, hit my front wheel then was squashed by the back one.:sad:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Like many longer epic rides were in short supply . A few rides of note Augusts imperial ton ride in the company of @Supersuperleeds ,Leicester to Birmingham city centre for some veloviwer squares ,cycled past a near deserted Bull ring shopping centre . A week in the peaks saw me test my climbing legs . Climbed up to Riber castle from Matlock hardest hill I've ever done . Pick off the week was a 27 miler which started with a 4 mile descent I had a local commuter in front of me so could follow his lines on the descent averaged over 27mph for the descent . Crossed into Staffordshire and climbed up Ilan moor which has become my favourite climb all in glorious sunshine

Top Bottom