Your best ride of 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A round trip of 46 miles to visit my sister during the first lockdown when we weren't allowed to drive anywhere outside the city. She lives alone and at that time she was very down with all the lack of company.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Given two years with major cycling-averse surgery, I've been pleased to do two runs from home to Plymstock, a round trip of 36 miles each time, and this year have totalled over 600 miles. I'll be happy with that, and have set a total for end of 2021 of 1100 miles. I aim to surpass that by a good margin.

I’d run from Plymstock too!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
As some will know I've not been in a good place lately, and remembering happy times from earlier in the year isn't quite the tonic it would normally be. Nevertheless I see good reasons for making the effort.

Once it became apparent that coronavirus was a big thing and that it was going to affect us all profoundly, my interpretation of the guidance was that rides of 100 miles or more were quite permissible. The decision I took was that I would design my routes to remain within a radius of approximately 15 miles from home, and would only ride on days when my wife was available to collect me should I be truly unable to continue. In a lifetime of cycling I can remember this happening twice, in 1976 and 2008, both due to illness.

It might be bordering on a fetish, but I try to design routes which I think have an aesthetically pleasing outline, definitely avoiding spurs and repetitions of sections of road wherever possible. With the design constraints described above, this created some challenges. This example, 111 miles on May 3rd, was I think my favourite:

The route crossed itself six times, always at a perfect crossroads, so the only repetition is the cul-de-sac where I live, unavoidable unless I were to start and finish recording at the end of my road. I didn't think of that.

I don't have a photograph from that day, but six days later on another ride I took this picture at a spot which I passed on both rides, and I'm sure the buttercups were no less beautiful:

I hope to be back properly next year. Good luck to everyone. :hello:

Mrs M

Guru
Managed away early this year to Lanzarote.
Hired same model fat bike as usual ^_^
Went on my first wee trip to Papagayo.
Followed route the cars took, a long ride on the bike, (didn’t know the much shorter route) :shy:
Never mind, good workout, some lovely scenery and the wee beer at the top was my prize :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
Best for me was an approximate 100 miler from Westport through Louisburg and the Doolough Valley to Leenane and along the Killary Fjord before looping inland through Connemara and back to Westport along Lough Mask, Lough Na Fooey and Lough Corrib and I fitted in a pub stop at a rural pub:becool: It wasn't even a particularly nice day but I still enjoyed it enormously and themist made the mountains more mysterious.
50349422128_f1152b9c81_3k.jpg
50369428781_bf367fabe6_5k.jpg
50350291232_b7be7dc432_3k.jpg
50349429838_2af6360d3b_3k.jpg
50349453493_80fd6aec72_3k.jpg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Well, my only long distance ride was in February (Sunrise Audax), which was quite pleasant despite it having been extremely wet the night before. So I got sunshine and reasonable warmth, and a free bath too:
View attachment 564735

My first and last century ride of the year.

Although arguably my favourite was this one:
View attachment 564736

42.6 miles with this little lad, including up and over the Lincolnshire wolds. I can't say he enjoyed the hills, but we had the last 2 miles home pretty much all downhill. Which was nice, and the company was good too.
Asked my son, and predictably it was the longer but flatter 44 mile ride down the water Rail Cycle path:
IMG_20200815_122829648.jpg

IMG_20200815_155324961.jpg
IMG_20200815_121942114.jpg

Top Bottom