Your best speed on ascent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are you going to have a go on 20th Oct then Rob? :thumbsup:

I have been having a close look at the details on that page and I think the map is slightly out. If the start is at Thornber Oils rather than the bus stop (which seems likely!) then it is a bit further up the road.

I've checked where I time myself from/to and I am doing about 1 km more than the official HC course. Given that the extra is about 600 metres almost flat at the bottom, out of the wind, and about 400 metres at the exposed top bit, I would be doing (say) 30 kph on those bits so 1 km would correspond to about 2 minutes. That means I would have to do about 18 minutes on the official course. Given that the record is 15-52.6 (not Matt Clinton's old 16+ minutes as shown on the CTT site), I think that would be pretty good for someone of my age, with my health history. I'll update my post above as I nibble away at it!

Nope, won't be available that Sunday, otherwise I would probably have done it.

Both times I have done Cragg Vale in the past, there were temp traffic lights on the road, which caught me both times, so I gave up and just rode up at tempo.

TBH, not being able to ride this event might be a blessing in disguise, stops me doing too much in the week before the National on The Stang, which I assume I will get into (but it is not a given).

Super excited for Monsal Head on Sunday (closed road, usually a big spectator showing and live commentary over a PA system) :smile: Then The Rake the weekend after!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nope, won't be available that Sunday, otherwise I would probably have done it.
I have never ridden any competitive cycling event, but if I ever get my time on my extended climb close to 20 minutes then I will have a go at that year's Cragg Vale HC to see what I can do. It might be that my dodgy left lung never recovers enough, but I'll work at it and see what happens.

(The other target I have is to do the 20 mile Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Cragg Vale climb, Littleborough, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge loop in under an hour, and without jumping any red lights! The shortest time I ever did it in was 1 hr 9 mins, but I wasn't superfit at the time so I think a solo hour is very doable.)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have never ridden any competitive cycling event, but if I ever get my time on my extended climb close to 20 minutes then I will have a go at that year's Cragg Vale HC to see what I can do. It might be that my dodgy left lung never recovers enough, but I'll work at it and see what happens.

(The other target I have is to do the 20 mile Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Cragg Vale climb, Littleborough, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge loop in under an hour, and without jumping any red lights! The shortest time I ever did it in was 1 hr 9 mins, but I wasn't superfit at the time so I think a solo hour is very doable.)

Racing Hill climbs is a completely brutal pastime :tongue: But I love it, and the hill climb scene in general.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Racing Hill climbs is a completely brutal pastime :tongue: But I love it, and the hill climb scene in general.
Yes, it would be. That hill I mentioned in my 1st post above was the scene of a competitive ride last Sunday, and the best time for the A-grade riders was about 14 minutes! :eek:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, it would be. That hill I mentioned in my 1st post above was the scene of a competitive ride last Sunday, and the best time for the A-grade riders was about 14 minutes! :eek:

Sounds similar to Long Hill, albeit a little steeper (about 1% more severe). I'd probably be about 2-2.5 minutes down on the winning time over a climb like that.

Although that does depend on what your results tend to look like, over here there are a handful of riders who will put a minute or so into everyone else in the field for any event they enter, you tend to get 1 or 2 that will do that in an event, so 1st and 2nd place are pretty much wrapped up before the race even starts and the gap between 1st to 2nd are smaller, then there is a big jump to 3rd and from there on, everyone is packed quite close.

Sounds similar to Long Hill, albeit a little steeper (about 1% more severe). I'd probably be about 2-2.5 minutes down on the winning time over a climb like that.

Although that does depend on what your results tend to look like, over here there are a handful of riders who will put a minute or so into everyone else in the field for any event they enter, you tend to get 1 or 2 that will do that in an event, so 1st and 2nd place are pretty much wrapped up before the race even starts and the gap between 1st to 2nd are smaller, then there is a big jump to 3rd and from there on, everyone is packed quite close.
Exactly so, Monsal Head on Sunday will be the same, dr_pink is up against a pro [not against them riding but don't think they should be taking the prize money] and the National Hill Climbing Champion so the best she can hope for is 3rd, which would be amazing as not her type of hill, ie short and brutal.
We will see you there as is becoming usual, thought you were doing Mow Cop? Dr_pink entered for that. Hi Colin, might have a think about Cragg Vale as that weekend we will be up at Barnard Castle checking out the National Hill Climb, but could possibly get down to ride Cragg Vale as it doesn't start until 2pm, will have a think about it.
If there are any CC'ers who could come along to Mow Cop and cheer dr_pink on [especially on the steep bit] that would be very much appreciated. [The top of Monsal Head looks like the summit of a major tour spectator wise]
Apologies for diverting the thread slightly, to bring it back on topic, has anyone got any times for Mow Cop?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Exactly so, Monsal Head on Sunday will be the same, dr_pink is up against a pro [not against them riding but don't think they should be taking the prize money] and the National Hill Climbing Champion so the best she can hope for is 3rd, which would be amazing as not her type of hill, ie short and brutal.
We will see you there as is becoming usual, thought you were doing Mow Cop? Dr_pink entered for that. Hi Colin, might have a think about Cragg Vale as that weekend we will be up at Barnard Castle checking out the National Hill Climb, but could possibly get down to ride Cragg Vale as it doesn't start until 2pm, will have a think about it.
If there are any CC'ers who could come along to Mow Cop and cheer dr_pink on [especially on the steep bit] that would be very much appreciated. [The top of Monsal Head looks like the summit of a major tour spectator wise]
Apologies for diverting the thread slightly, to bring it back on topic, has anyone got any times for Mow Cop?

Not sure short and brutal is my bag either because I have to get out of the saddle and can't twiddle, lol! I can do it, but it won't result in my best results. I will give it my best though, been working on my steep climb ability and my out of the saddle efforts on the local steeps are improving plus there are 2 catchers at the top of Monsal Head, the catcher this weekend at Peaslows looked like he was in two mind about catching me when I aimed for him, I was okay to not fall over though and managed to unclip. The headwind on Peaslows was absolutely horrible! As you will know, an extra 15-20 seconds at that sort of effort level is considerable! For a 3 minute effort, I felt like shoot for 2 days afterwards.

As for Mow Cop, I can't get from Mow Cop to the Rake in time to ride both so have elected to just ride the Rake. If I could get from one to the other, I would have asked for complementary start times, the Mow Cop organiser pretty much said he would accommodate that as he was aware of the clash. Mow Cop has some big names entered, Tejvan and Matt Clinton are both riding.

The spectator turn out and commentary is why I want to do Monsal Head, no chance of a "result" given the field, plenty of pro's and top local riders! I can't wait though, it looks awesome. Had some advice from some of the guys from Buxton CC, to mentally place the finish a bit short of the actual finish and smash it to that point and then the cheering will get you the rest of the way! I am predicting about 1:45 for myself if conditions are like last year! Think I will put my carbon saddle on for this one, every fraction of a second will count, I found myself weighing a pair of socks the other day! :tongue: Probably going to cover or pocket my Garmin too, so I can't psyche myself out of the time looks down on expectations (also saves the weight of the mount, hah). Want the data though to look at later though..

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Looking at some of my regular segments on Strava, there are a few local hills I can get up at about 25km/h, but they're typically less than 1km long with an average gradient not much more than 5%.

I'm often quite quick for the first few hundred metres but I have no staying power. I would be rubbish in a hill climb competition.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin, might have a think about Cragg Vale as that weekend we will be up at Barnard Castle checking out the National Hill Climb, but could possibly get down to ride Cragg Vale as it doesn't start until 2pm, will have a think about it.
Let me know if dr_pink is going to have a go; if she is, I'll cheer her on from the bus turning circle halfway up the steeper mid-section of the climb!

Top Bottom