Your best speed on ascent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
A-scent, not DE-scent! :thumbsup:

(40 mph downhill is fine. I start to get nervous at about 55 mph!)

haha - must learn to read properly before I reply - thanks Colin!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
@ColinJ Change of plan, Cragg Vale entered! Whether I turn up or not will depend closer to the time, this weekend has felt like I have been in a bit of a daze and I am not sure if I may be coming down with something or what, but I intend to be there if well! See you there @totallyfixed & @dr_pink. Good luck on Mow Cop next week too Helen! Not feeling all that confident about The Rake next week after yesterdays crappy ride at Monsal Head, but at least I am close enough to recce this one during the week at race pace.

Looking at my data (that super heavy Garmin you remarked on came in handy) looks like I had quite a fast finish, despite nearly taking out a spectator, so I am guessing that I lost the time on the steepest section through "saving myself" for the last kick, which didn't actually exist! I use the turn "saving myself" but that is not all that accurate, what I really mean is, not going completely all out yet.

I don't really remember anything about my ride other than someone shouting to me "nearly over the steepest bit now" which confused me as I had it in my head that the gradient just kept picking up right to the finish. Then as I hit the spectator rich area someone was shouting "go on Rob" from I think the (my) right hand side of the road, I don't know who it was as I had my head down and was pretty much opening up the sprint at that point, the very last moments are a blur, all I recall is nearly running a girl over which I seem to recall caused a cheer or sound of some sort and a rather quick switch of direction from myself and then wobbling over the line.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ Change of plan, Cragg Vale entered! Whether I turn up or not will depend closer to the time, this weekend has felt like I have been in a bit of a daze and I am not sure if I may be coming down with something or what, but I intend to be there if well! See you there @totallyfixed & @dr_pink. Good luck on Mow Cop next week too Helen! Not feeling all that confident about The Rake next week after yesterdays crappy ride @ Monsal, but at least I am close enough to recce this one during the week at race pace.
Well, provided the weather isn't awful, I will turn out to watch. I'll ride round the back way to come out by the farm and drop down to the steeper section, where I'll find a nice vantage point..

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'll be the lumbering giant (in race pics I always look really large, not fat :tongue: must have broad shoulders because I am lightweight for my height and skinny, very little muscle mass) in Blue, White and Red :smile: Bike to be used has not been decided.

The broad shoulders might explain why I put out more power then a lot of faster time trialists, but go slower! Position needs dialling but can't afford a trip to the wind tunnel :tongue: Maybe a winter of field testing is in order!

Last edited:

Linford

My best achievement to date since getting my nicked bike back is climbing Leckhampton hill to the very top yesterday.

A total of a 12 mile ride out from home returned a blistering average of 10.2mph.
There was 700ft of climbing in about a 1.5 miles stertch though (with much of that) up a 25% gradient on that hill and I managed to ride it with about 5 stops.
It is a mix of Grade 3 and 4 on Strava.
It was a monster which I'm looking forward to doing again with less stops :smile:

mangid

Guru
8.6mph over 11.4miles @ 7.5%, 4551ft gain, is probably my best, must admit I love hill climbing, just a shame there aren't any around where I live :-(

Linford

8.6mph over 11.4miles @ 7.5% is probably my best, must admit I love hill climbing, just a shame there aren't any around where I live :-(

I think I'll take an oxygen bottle next time I try my local hill. I did half of it earlier this year on a loaned MTB, but that had a granny ring on the front which made a lot of difference :smile:

I'd have happily swaped for a lesser one frrom the half way point if I'm honest

I have 'mustn't go below' speeds for some hills I climb regularly.

If I apply the rules, then I have to creast the hill without dropping below whatever minimum I've set... 11mph, 10mph or whatever.

It is a cruel game because the speed for each hill sort of sticks with you and you just have to accept it.

There are hills where it fees wrong slackening off, even if I'm just popping out on a social visit or to a meeting.

I blame immigration.

VamP

Banned
@ColinJ Change of plan, Cragg Vale entered! Whether I turn up or not will depend closer to the time, this weekend has felt like I have been in a bit of a daze and I am not sure if I may be coming down with something or what, but I intend to be there if well! See you there @totallyfixed & @dr_pink. Good luck on Mow Cop next week too Helen! Not feeling all that confident about The Rake next week after yesterdays crappy ride at Monsal Head, but at least I am close enough to recce this one during the week at race pace.

Looking at my data (that super heavy Garmin you remarked on came in handy) looks like I had quite a fast finish, despite nearly taking out a spectator, so I am guessing that I lost the time on the steepest section through "saving myself" for the last kick, which didn't actually exist! I use the turn "saving myself" but that is not all that accurate, what I really mean is, not going completely all out yet.

I don't really remember anything about my ride other than someone shouting to me "nearly over the steepest bit now" which confused me as I had it in my head that the gradient just kept picking up right to the finish. Then as I hit the spectator rich area someone was shouting "go on Rob" from I think the (my) right hand side of the road, I don't know who it was as I had my head down and was pretty much opening up the sprint at that point, the very last moments are a blur, all I recall is nearly running a girl over which I seem to recall caused a cheer or sound of some sort and a rather quick switch of direction from myself and then wobbling over the line.

Rode my first hill climb this Sunday, 2 minutes 41 seconds of mindblowing intensity. I was barely staying upright by the time I reached the spectators, have absolutely no idea who was shouting what. What a hoot!

Took me about 2 hours to recover from a sub 3 minute ride.

It was our Interclub HC (4 clubs), held at the lovely named Sharpenhoe Clappers, so quite a good quality field, but clubmates came 1 and 2, I got 7th, and we had 2 more in the top ten, so we smashed it this year.

Top Bottom