Your best speed on descent ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
40mph on the long drag down to Whitby

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
40mph on the long drag down to Whitby
Just nip up to the White House on Blackstone Edge and bomb back down again - it is hard not to hit 50 mph coming down that hill. I did 55 mph on it a couple of years ago without even trying - it was only when I reviewed the tracklog on my GPS later that I realised how fast the descent had been!

U

User6179

I am one of the quickest on a local descent (3rd on strava with about 300 riders ) behind two pros only by 10 secs on a 2 mile descent and I struggle to hit anything over 40mph on most descents, I find at 35mph you go quicker tucking in than pedalling , my top speed is 43mph on my my cateye computer and about 50mph on gps which I personally would discount as bollocks !

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Just nip up to the White House on Blackstone Edge and bomb back down again - it is hard not to hit 50 mph coming down that hill. I did 55 mph on it a couple of years ago without even trying - it was only when I reviewed the tracklog on my GPS later that I realised how fast the descent had been!
I have never likes that ascent due to the cross wind you get coming round the bend between the Roman road and the Toll house, a few times it has felt like my wheels are about to get blown away from under me.

Linford

46 and a bit this morning down Lillybrook Hil if you believe the trip computer..I stopped pedaling at about 30 though and tucked in

1384704_10151881255813704_810506344_n.jpg

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Finally broke the 50mph barrier today (51). Been around 45 -47 until today. I listened to advice from you guys and managed to improve my aero tuck

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have never likes that ascent due to the cross wind you get coming round the bend between the Roman road and the Toll house, a few times it has felt like my wheels are about to get blown away from under me.
Oh, fast descending with crosswinds is not good! I almost got blown off the RHS of the descent from Holme Moss to Woodhead once, by a sudden gust of crosswind! :eek:

sheffgirl

The fastest I have managed is 31mph down the hill on the way to work. I daren't go any faster because I'm paranoid that a car will pull out of one of the many driveways on the way down without looking. I went down a different hill recently and the sign that smiles at drivers if they are going below 30mph told me I was doing 29mph. I'm tempted to go back and attempt to make it frown :laugh:

It's funny how when speeding down hill I think about "if I crash I will die" and when I crawl up Mow cop at 1 mph I also think I a m going to die!

Pesssimistic cycling club needed

Every time I go up one particular steep hill, I always worry I will either fall over when I stop or when I try to set off again. I never have, but for some reason I still fear it.

MikeW-71

Veteran
49.7mph. Descent of the Glen at the north of the Isle of Arran towards Sannox. It didn't feel like it at the time, strangely. Made me think a bit about what might have happened if I'd messed up.

As 4 of us were chatting whilst waiting for the rest of the group, another arrived to tell us that one of us had indeed got it wrong and crashed at 45mph. He was lucky and didn't break anything except the bike.

Speed is fun, but do take care :smile:

I need to try and get a local speed cam to flash me... am I bad? :whistle::bicycle:

Bodhbh

Guru
Again... Really. Use the search function :rolleyes:

but but but....some of us have gone faster since the last one!

46-47mph going down the Cat and Fiddle. On knobblies and with camping gear...I'm not 100% sure about the speedo setting, but then there's not much room to overestimate wheel circumference on a 29er with 2.4" tyres....

Previous it was 43-ish down the north side of Gospel Pass / coming down the Mynd in Shropshire.

Top Bottom