Your best speed on descent ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
47.6mph down the String Road on Arran, the fastest Ive been this year is only 40mph its a bit flatter down here and I had to pedal for that.
Update beat the 40mph three times yesterday; its just a pity I was on an alien cyclocross bike (well alien to me); if I had had a higher geared road bike with which I was familiar I may have broke my max :becool:

Edit: Since then I've broke 40mph another 5 times.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I hit 39.3mph the other week, if I knew I was that close to 40 I would have tried harder ^_^

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Re my previous 52mph on the N descent off Holme Moss......managed 56mph a few weeks ago. Felt bloody fast.
If you want to go really fast you need to pay attention to your aero position I think. I had always descended the Snake to Glossop with my hands on the drops. This week I changed to the "pro" style of hands close together on the bars close to the head tube. Significantly faster. But no quick braking so only on a road I know very well with excellent sight lines

surfdude

Veteran
38 mph on my mountain bike but had hideous wobble so had to slow down .

oiljam

Active...ish Member
54mph coming over woodhead pass quite a while ago now. Everything felt ok until a bus coming the other way caused severe turbulence. My handlebars started shaking really badly and I thought I were a goner. Managed to regain control eventually but I didn't like it one bit. Needless to say I'll not be doing that again....toooo scary!

Linford

170...Ah, sorry wrong bike :biggrin:
Seriously though, an indicated 43mph when coming down off Leckhampton Hill into Cheltenham a few years ago, the only thing which slowed me down was the junction half way down it and the blind bend a bit further up which only a nutter would take at more than 35 in either a car or bike. Bumpy as hell in places now though :sad:

Best place IMO to try this around here is a descent above the town on the A435 known locally as Lillybrook Hill. It's been years since I rode it, but it is a monster.

http://goo.gl/maps/zgiZg

Last edited:
Top Bottom