Your best speed on descent ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
:thumbsup:
The sole reason why the council paints "SLOW" on the road is because someone has died in a RTA 100m further along. Like at that junction to the right.
SLOW is painted on numerous roads near me, on which there has been injury, but no fatality in an RTA. Their records back up what they say, "Its to get the drivers attention about the speed they may be doing. My take on this is its nowt but a box ticking exercise.

Hip Priest

Veteran
When I see 'Slow' painted on the road I just see it as an apt assessment of my performance.

Venod

Eh up
When my mate first had the problem, I had stopped on the summit of Holme Moss to put my cycling glasses back on (they had steamed up on the climb). As a result, I was doing the descent about 200 yards behind him. He was bombing down at 50 mph but started fishtailing as he turned into that RH bend. I caught up very rapidly and shot past him as he braked to a halt. I waited for him at the junction with the A628 and he eventually turned up, ashen-faced and still shaking! The shimmy had almost thrown him off the bike.

The crazy thing was that it happened to him again on the same event at the same place, one year later! I think it must have been due to the way he rode his bike.

I had no problem at all but I do the things that control potential shimmy before it can occur (avoid death-grip on bars, press one knee against the top tube, keep my arms and knees bent and raise my weight slightly off the saddle).

Nice article that I have not seen before, thanks for the link, yes it could be a combination of the way I rode that bike together with the bikes geometry & elasticity, I have never had the problem with other bikes.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
52mph off Holme Moss northbound (and 51mph in the other direction). To hit more than 50 you really need a 10% + hill. There are loads of 7-8% hills around here that are great for descending like the Snake into Glossop but you can only get up to high forties, even with a tailwind.
Pick a dry day with a reasonable tailwind, tuck down, keep off the brakes and go for it. The straight section off Holme Moss towards Holmfirth is perfect for this as prevailing wind is following, the surface is good. Only problem is thinking about the hairpins rapidly approaching. Plenty of time to get up to terminal velocity then brake though.
The lower section of Chunal into Glossop is also 50+ in the right conditions. Just gotta persuade yourself not to brake :eek:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Got this one yesterday, 4th overall on Mott Street Downhill (02:57) on Strava, not particularly fast, it did feel very fast as the road is quite narrow and a bit bumpy and no where to go if you got it wrong.:laugh:

U

User482

Clocked 51mph last week, descending Dundry Hill on the Wells Rd, just south of Bristol. We must have had a good tailwind as I've never been over 45mph on that road before.

http://goo.gl/maps/XcPRG

mattobrien

Guru
We don't have hills in Suffolk :cry:

Current best of one of our minor gradients is a little over 40mph, yet to try a speed push on the new, faster bike, which I expect would be capable of at least 180mph :whistle:

We don't have hills in Suffolk :cry:

Current best of one of our minor gradients is a little over 40mph, yet to try a speed push on the new, faster bike, which I expect would be capable of at least 180mph :whistle:
Only been there once (last weekend), I got up to 37.2mph somewhere, most riders are around that but the local lad got to 40mph, so it looks like its just possible :thumbsup:

Gains84

Top speed iv ever managed was 40 but that was a clear downhill where i could see any traffic/potholes way in advance!

Top Bottom