Your best speed on descent ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
DSC_0143.jpg
Coming down a hill on Sunday morning on the Manchester-Blackpool Night Ride. Quite shocked myself but there you go. Usual max about 32 on my daily commute down Mottram Moor if the wind isn't too bad.

on the road

Über Member
I've managed 48mph going past Roby Mill, I reckoned I could have gone faster but I always chicken out trying to go any faster due to the bend in the road.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Is there a prize for the fastest whilst unable to see the road?
44mph going down Portway Hill, Upton St Leonards

It was approximately midnight, there was no moon, a fairly solid tree cover, and my Solidlight decided to turn itself off. A case of brake as hard as possible whilst trying to remember where the road was.
It was one of the earliest bright LED dynamo lights, and something inside burnt out. There was a recall on them soon after.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Seriously though, an indicated 43mph when coming down off Leckhampton Hill into Cheltenham
Sean got told off by the police for doing 53mph in the 30 limit there "If you'd been in a car, I'd have nicked you". His wife, on the back of the tandem, was not amused. No brakes required between the top and stopping for the mini-roundabouts at the bottom, according to him.

The best hill locally for high speed is from Snowshill down to Broadway. I've had 50-52 several times there.
For the record, my best ever was 56, coming off Birker Fell towards Eskdale

Albert

Über Member
53.0 mph (as measured by my Garmin) going downhill (surprise, surprise!)) into Pontrhydygroes from Devil's Bridge in Mid-Wales. My previous best was 48 mph on the same descent. This section of road is 10%+ with 15% maximum gradient. No skill required, just stupidity :laugh:

rovers1875

Veteran
Most computer record the max, so you dont need to take your eyes off the road :thumbsup:

Unfortunately or fortunately I'm a luddite. It does say it has 18 functions, but I use / want only two, that would be speed / distance and as those show up automatically when I start, I don.t give a stuff for anything else it can do. Unless it can give me next weeks winning lottery numbers.

wait4me

Veteran
Top speed of about 30mph on a Dawes "Chic Allors" when I was 12 years old (Redgate Hill Hunstanton). This was followed by 3 weeks in Hospital and then 3 further plastic surgery jobs. Now 54 years later I am excited that I managed to get up to 29 mph recently. I don't like hills.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have regularly hit 50+ going down this hill with no problem, it descends in a straight line for a good distance and at a pretty reasonable angle. Your speeds are really dictated by the time of day amount of traffic and your bravery/stupidity but 60 can be hit easily enough if your up to the job.
View attachment 24438
I would be too worried about cars pulling out from the entrance on the right or at the bottom to get up to full speed on this hill. No way are they going to expect a bike to be doing 50. I just do not trust other road users enough. Yikes.

Top Bottom