Your bike and a prehistoric site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My bike (and others’) in front of Neolithic burial chamber Wayland’s Smithy.
1681316088315.jpeg

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Castercliffe (c.510 BC), an Iron Age multivallate hillfort overlooking Colne & Nelson (Pendle to the left).
Probably never finished.
230416 18a.jpg

Windle

Über Member
Cockfield Fell, one of the largest ancient monuments in the country, the whole place is scattered with old workings, pits, banked & ditched enclosures and the remains of ancient settlements. Most of it is over the other side of the road from here but it does extend to this, west side as well. The later industrial use probably resulted in a the loss of some of the ancient stuff, but I don't think anybody was bothered back then.

GOPR0386.JPG

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran

Fredo76

Über Member
Interesting how the Prehistoric varies from place to place. It is largely a Western cultural construct as it is used to refer to the period before written records commenced. Rather overlooks the myriad societies where oral tradition was paramount.
Yes, it does. What surprised me, pleasantly, is that there are now native indigenous individuals with archeological educations making these digs and forming their own conclusions. When I was young, Mesa Verde National Park had a mummified body on display that they had named "Lucy", who fascinated young me, but quite horrified her descendants.

Top Bottom