Your bike and a windmill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
uphillstruggler
It’s taken a while for me to put together the ride to the Ivinghoe Windmill, this was a wet and muddy ride along a decent portion of the grand union canal between Milton Keynes and close to Ivinghoe

There’s a few ramblers on the stairs for good measure
D5222A57-7D6F-4F29-B383-B68255ED5DF4.jpeg
310DC689-869B-46BA-B05C-B492F2B787E8.jpeg
253BC98E-25B1-43F4-ADB3-63A1931EEFD9.jpeg

siadwell

Guru
There are 5 windmills within a few miles of where I live, so last year I stitched them together into a 44 mile ride.
#1 Outwood Mill - used to be open to the public but it's been on sale recently and I think its condition has deteriorated.
Outwood.jpg

#2 Lowfield Heath - this has been moved from its original location which is now an industrial estate on the fringes of Gatwick.
Lowfield Heath.jpg

#3 Reigate Heath - not a great photo in order to get the bike in it, but there is a chapel in the base and is thought to be the only windmill in the world which is a consecrated church.
Reigate Heath.jpg

#4 - Wray Common mill was for years in poor repair until it was converted into a private home and sails were fitted. However, I believe these were not good quality and have been removed. New sails have been procured but the Dutch millwright lined up to fit them is struggling to get a work visa!
Wray Common.jpg

#5 is my personal favourite - it's a small wind-powered sawmill in someone's back garden. Apparently, when the current owner of the house moved in, he found the mill as a pile of bits and has lovingly rebuilt it.
Buckland.jpg

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
There are 5 windmills within a few miles of where I live, so last year I stitched them together into a 44 mile ride.
#1 Outwood Mill - used to be open to the public but it's been on sale recently and I think its condition has deteriorated.
View attachment 629039

#2 Lowfield Heath - this has been moved from its original location which is now an industrial estate on the fringes of Gatwick.
View attachment 629040

#3 Reigate Heath - not a great photo in order to get the bike in it, but there is a chapel in the base and is thought to be the only windmill in the world which is a consecrated church.
View attachment 629041

#4 - Wray Common mill was for years in poor repair until it was converted into a private home and sails were fitted. However, I believe these were not good quality and have been removed. New sails have been procured but the Dutch millwright lined up to fit them is struggling to get a work visa!
View attachment 629042

#5 is my personal favourite - it's a small wind-powered sawmill in someone's back garden. Apparently, when the current owner of the house moved in, he found the mill as a pile of bits and has lovingly rebuilt it.
View attachment 629043
You’ve won today :okay:

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
20220227_094926.jpg

Top Bottom