Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
St Peter's, Thorpe Salvin

Large_Ste Peters Thorpe Salvin.JPG

Saint Bartholomew Fingest.
Grade 1 listed.
Very distinctive massive Norman tower - had to chop the rest of the church off to get it and my bike in.

The rest of it:

Outside, a write-up on it and the eventful times it has seen in its thousand year history by Cassandra of the old Daily Mirror who apparently lived nearby, or in the village.

Bramley End Church.

As in

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPFhQuqYpYg

And the cottage at the church gates which you can see in the clip at the beginning and the end.

Pic without bike.

OK, it's not, it's Turville.

Used for quite a few film/TV locations. **

A shot of the village from the churchyard showing the windmill on the hill - as used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Went the Day Well is I think one of the greatest British films about the war* and there are few places that seem more English than Turville/Bramley End - it seems as if nothing much has changed since the wartime when the film was made - there's still not much there than the church, the churchyard, some houses and a pub.

A wargrave - a 19 year old pilot died not too long before the film was made, though the gravestone almost certainly wasn't there when the film was made.

* So it was of course directed by a foreigner - Alberto Cavalcanti - if you go to the Brazilian embassy on/just off Trafalgar Square, there's a room dedicated to him.

** Including the Vicar Of Dibley - I've been there on a different bike a few years ago - most of the comments in the visitor's book name-checked the Vicar of Dibley - the only one which I remember referring to Went the Day Well was actually from a German chap who recalled the film - maybe seen on a wet German post-war TV Sunday afternoon - with fondness and respect.

Regards to him (still around I hope) and RIP to the 19 year old Brit pilot.

(a particularly moving reconciliatory tribute at the bottom of his gravestone - should have copied the text)

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Piddington church St John the Baptist church.

Looks like I chopped the top of the steeple off ^_^

Top Bottom