Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Another day, another church... this time it's Harpford.

img_20180115_152601381_hdrblog.jpg

plantfit

Guru
Saint Mary's. Carlton le Moorland village Lincolnshire

P1060331.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Is this out Grendon way? If so, nice climb out of the village but not visited the church...yet!

Correct and well worth a visit .

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Saint Mary's. Carlton le Moorland village Lincolnshire

View attachment 391650
Interesting windows - can't say I've ever seen a church with windows like that - Jacobean I wonder? But, whatever, they look more like windows of a normal house, not a church.

EDIT - could be Jacobean... from its listing "Nave rebuilt and tower remodelled late C16. [...] Nave, north wall has 2 large 3-light C16 chamfered cross windows with drip moulds"

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Looking rather sombre/severe, Uplowman church, near Tiverton. I suspect the 19th century restoration was rather heavy-handed.

The present church was built by the Lady Margaret Beaufort (1443-1509), Countess of Richmond and mother of Henry VII, who resided occasionally at the village of Sampford Peverell. The church was restored and a new chancel built in 1864. The architect was John Hayward of Exeter and the builder was named Wood.

img_20180122_135441254_hdr.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Holy Trinity Hatton this morning

20180125_104928.jpg

20180125_105024.jpg

Most of the church was rebuilt in 1888 for a local millionaire, Alfred Hewlett a mining engineer and coal mine owner who lived at nearby Haseley Manor. The architect was William Younger, one of the first Victorian architects to publish a book on the Gothic style, who also designed some well known buildings such as the War office in London and Glasgow Town Hall. However records also show that there has been a church on the site since the 12th century when Hugh Fitz Richard, called Hugh de Hatton, gave it to the priory of St Mary of Monmouth, a cell of the Benedictine monastery of Saint-Florent, Saumur, in western France.

The oldest part of the present building is the tower built in the 15th century and carries a peal of six bells. It is said that Dr Samuel Parr, vicar of Hatton and a distinguished scholar and educationalist, had the holes in the tower cut so he could hear the bells calling him, and others, to church more easily. Dr Parr was also responsible for the purchase of the 16th century glass in the west window, originally from the cloister windows of one or more monasteries in or around Cologne in Germany

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom