Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeeShot

Veteran
00956690-9B8B-4FE8-81AD-3D19FA8B3DEA.jpeg
A couple of miles south west of Congleton

D

Deleted member 1258

[QUOTE 5128910, member: 9609"]a modern abbey ? i didn't know such things existed

I love these little roofed gateways - were they something to do with leaving the deceased in ? I sometimes sit/shelter in one and wonder if I should ?[/QUOTE]

I've seen a few of those gateway's, I've no idea why they do them but some are lovely. I'll have to do some research when I get the chance.

D

Deleted member 1258

[QUOTE 5128910, member: 9609"]a modern abbey ? i didn't know such things existed

I love these little roofed gateways - were they something to do with leaving the deceased in ? I sometimes sit/shelter in one and wonder if I should ?[/QUOTE]

@User9609 A lychgate according to Wikipedia, where they brought the deceased for their funeral

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychgate

Tizme

Veteran
Strange as it may seem, but photos like these and all the others, picture of the day where's yours etc, have really changed my riding.

I have always been "training" out on the bike, head down keeping the average speed above a certain level etc, preparing for my next event, even my commute to work was always a training ride. Now I need a second hip replacement running and triathlons are no longer an option (yes I could, but I am too competitive and I would break it or myself!) I was at a loss for a reason to get out on the bike. Seeing these pictures made me realise that I can go out and have a great ride without stressing over speeds/distances etc.

Now I take a camera and look at the surroundings, take a photo and post here if I think it would be of interest to anyone else. So thanks to everyone who posts here and please, keep them coming!

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
You're very close to Trimley there - with some clever positioning you might be able to get a photo of your bike in front of two churches!
View attachment 393296
Can I refer you to the post below from earlier in the month...^_^
Two for the price of one - the twin churches of Trimley St. Martin (nearest) and Trimley St. Mary. (My bike is by the bus shelter with the village sign on it - you can just see the white blob of the drinks bottle)
View attachment 390579
First one from today';s ride is a traditional church from Helmingham (St. Mary's, near Helmingham Hall)
St. Mary's Church, Helmingham.jpg

Then, at the other end of the scale this WAS the St. Cecilia's Catholic church in Trimley St. Mary (actually the replacement one as the original burnt down - info here). It was taken out of use in 2010 and is now home to a high end audio installer
ex St Cecilia's Church, Trimley.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

St Ediths Monks Kirby this morning

Large Grade I listed priory church dating from 1077. The porch is one of the oldest parts of the church and dates from the rebuilding of 1380. The tower has a fine ring of eight bells, one cast in 1390. An imposing building in a tranquil rural setting. The stained glass windows are widely acclaimed

20180127_115446.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Clyst St George. I hadn't realised that the body of the church was destroyed in 1940, though it had already been 'Victorianised', so the tower is the only original part of the 15th-century church. Fascinating what you learn about places you thought you knew...

img_20180127_162108.jpg

From Wikipedia
Early to mid-C15 west tower; the body of the church almost entirely rebuilt by Rev. H T Ellacombe in 1854-5, and this in turn was reduced to ruins by an incendiary bomb in 1940; the post-war rebuilding (which was not a copy of Ellacombe's work) was completed in &952.

A_bomb_in_the_church_at_Clyst_St_George_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1309389.jpg

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Upton Pyne church today.

img_20180129_161107.jpg

And now for today's history lesson (courtesy of Historic England's Grade 1 listing)

Mainly C14 and C15 with restorations and alterations by Ware (1833)and William White (1874-5). Local volcanic trap, Thorverton stone. West tower, nave of 3 bays, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, north chancel vestry and organ chamber. Exterior: some C13 chancel wall masonry. Fine west tower of the last quarter of C14 with pronounced diagonal buttresses with concave weathering, south-east half-octagonal stair-turret, 3-light Perpendicular west window and moulded west doorway, large 2-light bell openings with transoms; parapet and pinnacles replaced in 1874-5. The tower is notable for its statuary; King David in the stair turret, crowned, holding a staff with a lamb at his feet; Christ in Benediction over west window; and above diagonal buttresses at the angles of the parapet, the Four Evangelists. All under cusped and finialed niche canopies. The figures are of high quality and stylistically related to the late-C14 work on the west front of Exeter cathedral.

Top Bottom