Your Bike in front of a Church

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Reiver, 23 Dec 2017.

Tags:
  1. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

Looking rather sombre/severe, Uplowman church, near Tiverton. I suspect the 19th century restoration was rather heavy-handed.

img_20180122_135441254_hdr.jpg

2. Vertego

Vertego Just reflecting on the meaning of life.

Douai Abbey, Woolhampton, Berkshire

douai-1.jpg

3. Vertego

St. Martin's church, Ellisfield, Hampshire

st martins-1.jpg

4. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Holy Trinity Hatton this morning

20180125_104928.jpg

20180125_105024.jpg

Most of the church was rebuilt in 1888 for a local millionaire, Alfred Hewlett a mining engineer and coal mine owner who lived at nearby Haseley Manor. The architect was William Younger, one of the first Victorian architects to publish a book on the Gothic style, who also designed some well known buildings such as the War office in London and Glasgow Town Hall. However records also show that there has been a church on the site since the 12th century when Hugh Fitz Richard, called Hugh de Hatton, gave it to the priory of St Mary of Monmouth, a cell of the Benedictine monastery of Saint-Florent, Saumur, in western France.

The oldest part of the present building is the tower built in the 15th century and carries a peal of six bells. It is said that Dr Samuel Parr, vicar of Hatton and a distinguished scholar and educationalist, had the holes in the tower cut so he could hear the bells calling him, and others, to church more easily. Dr Parr was also responsible for the purchase of the 16th century glass in the west window, originally from the cloister windows of one or more monasteries in or around Cologne in Germany

Last edited: 25 Jan 2018
  5. TeeShot

TeeShot Über Member

00956690-9B8B-4FE8-81AD-3D19FA8B3DEA.jpeg A couple of miles south west of Congleton

NorthernDave, Tizme, grecinos and 5 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

a modern abbey ? i didn't know such things existed

I love these little roofed gateways - were they something to do with leaving the deceased in ? I sometimes sit/shelter in one and wonder if I should ?

NorthernDave and dave r like this.
  7. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I've seen a few of those gateway's, I've no idea why they do them but some are lovely. I'll have to do some research when I get the chance.

Reiver likes this.
  8. Vertego

St Peter's church, Woolhampton, Berkshire.

st peters-1.jpg

NorthernDave, Tizme, BlueDog and 3 others like this.
  9. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

If 1938 counts as 'modern' then Buckfast is modern, though it doesn't look it (Wikipedia photo):

800px-Buckfast_Abbey%2C_Buckfastleigh%2C_Devon_8.jpg

You can probably work out how they pay for its upkeep these days ;)

10. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

Two from today's ride...

Firstly, All Saints Church in Waldringfield
    Waldringfield Church.jpg
    And then Saint Martin's Church in Nacton
    Nacton Church.jpg

11. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

@Reiver A lychgate according to Wikipedia, where they brought the deceased for their funeral

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychgate

plantfit and Reiver like this.
  12. You're very close to Trimley there - with some clever positioning you might be able to get a photo of your bike in front of two churches!
    upload_2018-1-26_8-47-21.png

swansonj and dave r like this.
  13. plantfit

plantfit Über Member

The Lychgate with two brass shields as a memorial to the war dead of the village from both world wars at Saint Mary's Carlton le Moorland Lincolnshire

Bike_ride_003.jpg

grecinos, NorthernDave, Tizme and 2 others like this.
  14. Tizme

Tizme Über Member

Strange as it may seem, but photos like these and all the others, picture of the day where's yours etc, have really changed my riding.

I have always been "training" out on the bike, head down keeping the average speed above a certain level etc, preparing for my next event, even my commute to work was always a training ride. Now I need a second hip replacement running and triathlons are no longer an option (yes I could, but I am too competitive and I would break it or myself!) I was at a loss for a reason to get out on the bike. Seeing these pictures made me realise that I can go out and have a great ride without stressing over speeds/distances etc.

Now I take a camera and look at the surroundings, take a photo and post here if I think it would be of interest to anyone else. So thanks to everyone who posts here and please, keep them coming!

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
    Bryony, NorthernDave, Jenkins and 3 others like this.
  15. Vertego

St Denys's church, Stanford Dingley, Berkshire

st denys-1.jpg

Last edited: 26 Jan 2018
    Tizme, Thorn Sherpa, plantfit and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice