Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The Parish of Witton in Blackburn. Up for sale it seems.

St Leonards in Balderstone.

I really must try to photo the actual names of churches in future. According to Google maps, this is St Saviours in Bamber Bridge.

St John the Evangelist in Whittle le Woods.

Aaaaaaand last but not least, Rivington Parish Church in Rivington. Didn't know it was there...despite passing it a gazillion times.

Saint Mary's Buttsbury.

There is no god though.

Sitting outside the church before this one, minding my own business chewing on my cycling snack, a gold crown popped off.

A fair few interesting churches in this neck of the woods, many quite isolated.

All Saints Stock Harvard.

That's actually the side entrance.

The front is through the 15th century tall timber belfry you can see below - the principal reason for the church being Grade 1 listed apparently. It's structurally separate from the church with no foundations to speak of - bells no longer run at full tilt due to structural issues resulting from a WW2 land mine. Timber used because of a shortage of suitable local stone.

Inside that side porch is this curious notice - I seem to recall seeing the same grumpy sounding form of words in a few other CofE churches - I think this might mean they are something called "High Church" and telling folks that they are really catholic while taking CofE dosh (folk feel free to correct me/tick me off) - not aware that the catholic church has a similar entryist sub class of church but maybe it does.

The impressive front tower would have been best photo-ed from the front on my cheapo phone but an intervening large church car park would have somewhat spoiled the shot.

Not aware that "car" or "car park" appear in the book of common prayer or the gospels either but maybe I'm forgetting the water into gasoline miracle.

And the famous church mural of St Augustine arriving in Thanet on a hovercraft.

@Blue Hills yes that's High Church AKA code for snobbery and intolerance of anyone who dares to be different.
Attended by "locals" who go for the weekly fix of smells and bells turned up to the max.
Thanks for the info - there's a c of e church near london bridge like that - wandered in a while ago, happenned to be at the end of the sunday service, so many "bells and smells" as you put it that it was almost psychedelic, hard to believe I wasn't in some uber catholic place.

tom73

Guru
Thanks for the info - there's a c of e church near london bridge like that - wandered in a while ago, happenned to be at the end of the sunday service, so many "bells and smells" as you put it that it was almost psychedelic, hard to believe I wasn't in some uber catholic place.

Psychedelic that's the whole point. Funny enough Mrs 73 use to attend one but got made to feel uncomfortable in the in. Now she's catholic and they hardly use it at all. Guess the nearest catholic branch are the one who still use latin and the women still cover heads. York has one like that.

Top Bottom